Spritmonitor OK - Fuelly ?

tighterse

Spritmonitor OK - Fuelly ?

Postby tighterse » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:32 pm

I've redid the first entries to show reality. Spritmonitor is correct since there is a facility for a first fill up. Fuelly is still a mess. The individual entries are correct but I can't see how to show the true overall mpg figure but as time goes on and more entries are made the accuracy of the overall mpg will improve.

I'm still learning how to get the best economy out of this car. So far it's looking very good and should get much better soon when I have a look at the tyre pressures.

Certainly turning out to be a very impressive car on the mpg front but early days yet.
Kia Ceed 1.6 crdi isg Retired undefeated on 25,720 miles and 62.91 mpg overall

Now driving my second Sportage.

Warning. May contain a nut.

frv

Re: Spritmonitor OK - Fuelly ?

Postby frv » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:56 am

How many have you done so far then TE and are you finding your mpg picking up as it gets warmer?
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:50 pm

I've had a surfeit of Dufftown tonight and have lost a post. Service will be resumed tomorrow.

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:10 pm

Back to, reasonable, normal after I was interrupted last night by a friend bearing 20 y/oDufftown.

So far around 2,200 miles that included four (4) £40 fill ups. I do this to try to get used to the car and find out which driving methods give the best mpg without having to analyse a full tank. Sometime later I will do a series of £10 top ups to establish any error between actual and car computer. That will be after I increase the tyre pressures that I know does make a difference.

Early indications are that over 60mpg is being achieved and I’m more that happy with this. However an explanation of my main trips is needed. Twice weekly there is a 73 mile return trip mostly on the M8 motorway and Edinburgh bypass. Outward is between 10 and 11:00 and inward between 12 and 13:00 both in light traffic. My time varies between 45 and 55 minutes depending on traffic light timings (5 sets), roadworks and any other hazards. On the motorway and bypass I use cruise control set at an indicated 55 mph. I’ve tried a higher setting but it makes no significant time difference but reduces mpg seriously.

I’ve a feeling that most drivers over-estimate motorway average speeds. Plainly if I was having to drive at busier times my mpg would suffer. I think what this shows is that even a largish car like a Sportage is capable of very low mpg performance but with the warning that I am not a typical driver doing typical trips. However if other drivers actually thought about and analysed their driving serious savings could be achieved and more good malt whisky substituted for petrol or diesel.

frv

Postby frv » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:25 am

Thanks for the update TE and no apology required for the Dufftown incident, perfectly reasonable activity in my view :D

I’d love your light traffic.....

Do you ever ‘fiddle’ with the cruise control? I sometimes knock mine up or down slightly depending on the terrain and of course there’s sometimes an opportunity for a bit of coasting in ‘N’ on steeper downslopes on the motorway.
There’s one I do on the way to work on the M1. I increase speed slightly to maybe 58 and then pop it in Neutral when I reach a bridge, roll down hill, speed drops to 54/55 then back in gear and if possible bleed a little speed off on the small hill that follows (whilst keeping an eye on instantaneous MPG gauge) followed by a squirt of power then do an in-gear coast to the slip road off.
From experience, I’ve found this increases my mpg compared to just sticking to 55 in cruise.

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:54 pm

Now there's a thought. If I can I usually go into "N" on downhill stretches depending how downhill it is. I can see the attraction of speeding up slightly on moderate downhills but how to measure it needs some thought.

One thing to note is that in the east of Scotland there is no three lane motorway. You need to go west of Glasgow for that.

frv

Postby frv » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:06 am

Worth an experiment?!

We have some 4-lane motorway section since they ‘upgraded :roll:’ parts of the M1 to Smart (Sometimes dumb!!). No hard shoulder and quite often 60mph speed limit on the overhead gantry and speed cameras !!