any simple aero mods worth doing?

rob.e

any simple aero mods worth doing?

Postby rob.e » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:59 pm

i'm not talking about a full boat-tail tear drop monstrosity, but are there any simple things that folks have done that have given good results?

thinking.. grille blocking, wheel spats ie simple to add/ remove if not necessary but might make a positive difference?

The grille on the honda is pretty flat so it wouldn't take much to cut some foam board to shape and cable-tie it in place. As it stands the front grille pretty much looks to be like an open parachute :D there is also an opening underneath the bumper so i expect even with the blocker in place i'd still get enough air for cooling (but i'd obviously watch it carefully). As well as aero this might make it warm up quicker which might also be a benefit as the days get colder?

rear wheel spats would be easy to make (vw xl1 style enclosed/ covered wheels) but the danger is i would look like a cock. :oops: i've seen some cars with a sort of deflector in front of the wheel to aid air flow, sort of like a mini air dam?

there are loads of bolt on (or stickon!) aero stylee tat products on ebay - i'm guessing they're all a pointless waste of money unless anyone knows different?
2015 honda civic tourer 1.6 D-TEC rocketship

tighterse

Re: any simple aero mods worth doing?

Postby tighterse » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:56 pm

O.K. you fit a doodad to your car to save fuel.

How do you measure its effectiveness bearing in mind that consumption can rise or fall by +- 3% dependent on weather conditions and by much more dependent on traffic conditions. What about load? - 1 up, 4 up, boot loaded or empty.

So your doodad, whatever it turns out to be, would need to produce immediate and immediately significant measurable savings bearing in mind that it comes with a weight penalty. And a cost penalty that is not recoverable.

Can you beat Honda’s wind tunnel testing? Make sure you get a money back guarantee from the doodad maker.

Interesting idea but I doubt it.

By the way. Like you I started hypermiling many years ago in company cars. The car did 40 mpg, I reported 20 mpg and hey presto a tax free addition to my income.
Kia Ceed 1.6 crdi isg Retired undefeated on 25,720 miles and 62.91 mpg overall

Now driving my second Sportage.

Warning. May contain a nut.

frv

Postby frv » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:29 am

The only one I’ve found to have any noticeable difference is grill blocking. In my old Honda, below 7C the mpg took a big hit until up to 9 miles when the engine coolant had warmed up. I had my Ultragauge on that car too so I could monitor engine temperature. It must have been some kind of thermostat that kicked in when it was cooler. I used pipe insulation cut in half tie-wrapped in place then covered in black tape to make it more esthetically pleasing ;) , I.e. not cock-like :lol:
I had 2 main slits on my grill and went from partially covered to fully as the temperature dropped outside.
The whole thing was very light so weight penalty not a problem.

I haven’t done anything to the Audi as it doesn’t seem to be affected in the same way by the cold.
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

rob.e

Postby rob.e » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:44 am

can i beat honda's wind tunnel testing? well, obviously i don't have a wind tunnel myself or any experience but it stands to reason that the designers have to accomodate owners driving flat out across deserts towing trailers with the aircon on full. on my daily commute it's never that warm (its' the uk afterall) and so i guess a reduction in air flow into the grille could be something that wound't adversely affect anything.

i'll see if i can knock something up for the grille and try it out.
2015 honda civic tourer 1.6 D-TEC rocketship

frv

Postby frv » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:52 pm

Worth a go I reckon....
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.