Hit a plateau any advice

tighterse

Re: Hit a plateau any advice

Postby tighterse » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:34 am

I've been looking back at my records and see I had three Cavalier 1.6s. These were company cars and consequently high mileage, all were replaced within two years when they exceeded 70,000 miles. The best of them ran at 38.7 mpg with the others around 37. I also had a Vectra 1.8 just before I retired which recorded 31,347 miles and 41.2 mpg. All of these experienced mixed driving with a lot of city and long distance A roads and motorways. The surprising one I recorded was a 56 plate Zafira 1.8 petrol with almost 43 mpg for 33,000 miles in three years and that included several hundred miles towing a caravan. Going even further back there were a couple of Astra Belmonts (remember them) both 1600 petrol which managed 42 and 41 respectively.

Make of it what you will but my analysis would be that older Vauxhalls are not particularly mpg friendly. You may be correct in saying you have reached the limit of what your car can manage.

Opposed to that a "newer" diesel or smaller petrol car might achieve much better mpgs although what you save in fuel costs would have to be balanced against the initial capital cost.

If your Vectra is reliable it might be best, financially, to be satisfied with over 40 mpg. But, and it's a big but, my Vectra cost me over £1,000 when the electrics on the braking system failed so watch out for the little things that can cause financial pain.
Kia Ceed 1.6 crdi isg Retired undefeated on 25,720 miles and 62.91 mpg overall

Now driving my second Sportage.

Warning. May contain a nut.

K-Singh

Re: Hit a plateau any advice

Postby K-Singh » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:46 pm

I've been looking back at my records and see I had three Cavalier 1.6s. These were company cars and consequently high mileage, all were replaced within two years when they exceeded 70,000 miles. The best of them ran at 38.7 mpg with the others around 37. I also had a Vectra 1.8 just before I retired which recorded 31,347 miles and 41.2 mpg. All of these experienced mixed driving with a lot of city and long distance A roads and motorways. The surprising one I recorded was a 56 plate Zafira 1.8 petrol with almost 43 mpg for 33,000 miles in three years and that included several hundred miles towing a caravan. Going even further back there were a couple of Astra Belmonts (remember them) both 1600 petrol which managed 42 and 41 respectively.

Make of it what you will but my analysis would be that older Vauxhalls are not particularly mpg friendly. You may be correct in saying you have reached the limit of what your car can manage.

Opposed to that a "newer" diesel or smaller petrol car might achieve much better mpgs although what you save in fuel costs would have to be balanced against the initial capital cost.

If your Vectra is reliable it might be best, financially, to be satisfied with over 40 mpg. But, and it's a big but, my Vectra cost me over £1,000 when the electrics on the braking system failed so watch out for the little things that can cause financial pain.
I know what you mean by reliability of vauxhalls they are well built however the engines are prone to small niggles quite regularly, Reason i got the car was bangernomics i was previously buying frugal newish diesels and bought the vectra as 2 month stop gap and decided to keep it due to me paying next to nothing for it in the first place. I am fortunate enough to have access to a garage hence dont have to worry about labour costs so far i have spent £250 on the car if this were to include labour i would be into 4 figures.

In terms of mpg i do think im doing well the extra urban figure for the car is 37mpg so i do think i have hit the limit of what it can do more so with the consideration that im managing 43 mpg on lpg of which is supposed to reduce the economy even further.