New car and its Hypermiler friendly

SteveGTI

New car and its Hypermiler friendly

Postby SteveGTI » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:49 am

It would seem I've made a very expensive mistake by lending my wife my Bora TDI PD for a week. She went back into her 1600 petrol Golf and inspite of returning a very admirable (and above manufacturers figures) 40.6 MPG, she declared that it's too expensive to run. She started then sending me adverts for various TDI equipped cheapies at which point I suggested she may want to consider something a bit newer; maybe an early Mk5 Golf GT TDI). She wasn't too sure and wanted to see what they were like so we went out to various dealerships. This is where my plan to spend a couple of grand on an 8 year old Golf GT somehow got hijacked.

Tonight we take delivery of a 3 year old Mk6 Golf TDI Bluemotion that was A LOT more than the original plan. It does, however, have a number of fuel saving features such as eco-tyres, longer ratio gearbox, stop-start, etc. All in its quoted as a combined MPG of 68.9 and extra urban of 80.7. We will find out how accurate these figures are but we are both very excited.

I'm not sure how much longer this link will work but for anyone that's interested, here is my wifes new car;

http://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/vo ... -u-656943/

Karl
Site Admin

Re: New car and its Hypermiler friendly

Postby Karl » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:23 pm

Thats nice.... I've always had a think for Golfs.

I'm sure she'll see a marked improvement in MPG but I would reminder her that even the most efficient car will drink fuel if you don't drive with care.

I'm always getting caught out with spending more. We started looking at newer cars when I decided to sell my Qashqai - ended up turning my plans for 15k into 22k. Whoops!
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

frv

Postby frv » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:49 pm

Hi Steve, I've fixed your link!

Nice motor :D

Hope you get somewhere near the manufacturer's figures but without a lot of effort, people generally fall far short....

Looking on Spiritmonitor, 1 person has managed to average over 80mpg and 7 have averaged over 70, however the average is 55.3mpg over 180 owners.

It's a useful tool! http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/ ... owerunit=2

It's a German site but has many owners across Europe and beyond on there. You can convert litres/100km to mpgUK here:

https://www.unitjuggler.com/convert-fue ... l?val=5.11

Have fun!
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

SteveGTI

Postby SteveGTI » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:21 pm

Well it's far too early to say what we're getting but I'm pretty confident it ought to be good. When we picked it up the trip computer was showing a pretty miserable 46 MPG average which would say to me that it's been shown no mercy whilst it's been at the dealership. Drove around 20 miles and that average had climbed up to 58.7 and was still climbing when we parked up. Obviously that's different to what the car is actually doing but the one in my Bora tends to be fairly accurate.

The stop-start is fantastic, I have no idea why anyone would turn this feature off. Certainly enjoying the car so far :-D