Back in a 106 (again )

ssaaaabb

Back in a 106 (again )

Postby ssaaaabb » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:07 pm

Wow, been a while.............. After doing my upmost best in a gas guzzler these last 6 months, I got depressed of the sad figures ( 36mpg) and decided I had to change cars. It drove me crazy knowing what I am capable of doing and my talents being wasted in a heavy 2 litre petrol. So I went back to the past, and bought the car I have had good success with! a good old 106!

After picking up another 106 1.5 diesel , I have got that hypermiling buzz back tenfold!

I only just bought it, and it had the blackest, smelliest engine oil I have ever seen. You could use it as jet black paste... Or gloss black paint. It is thick and disgusting. I found in the history the last reciept of an oil change is 27k miles ago :evil:

I discovered 3 litres of 15/40 mineral diesel oil in the boot when I got home from buying the car, Its clean un-used! So first thing I have done is pull out the horrible black oil with a 12v syphon pump. and replaced it with 3 litres of that 15/40 oil.

Oil on dipstick is stick black, but a thinner shade ! :roll:

I went to halfrauds, got some 5/30 fully synthetic, and plan is to put that in tommorow.......

I guestimated I got 60mpg on the way home, it was a 60 mile drive and on putting in 1 gallon of diesel, the fuel gauge is exactly as it was when I set off. So, Its just a guess but 60-mpg is probably about right.

I am really hoping, that this thinner oil ( by a fair margin ) will help my mpg does that make sense? Less engine resistance needs less fuel I think.

I also checked my tyres, they where all at 26 psi, took them to max sidewall earlier too, which is only 36psi :!: not seen that low before im tempted to go with 38psi, only 2psi over cant do much harm can it?

My last 106 had a bosch pump, this has a lucas fuel pump - and my last 106 got me 73mpg, I am hoping to beat that!
my last 106 had winter tyres with chunky treads, I think that held me back on my mpg figures.

Few things will help me beat 73mpg.

1. I weigh 1 stone less then last time
2. Im going to use thinner oil
3. will use normal tyres not winter m+s rated!
4. Im going to take weight out the car ( no head unit/speaks/ no spare wheel ) and no extra baggage
5. im going to try harder :D

I want 80mpg, It will be a monumental effort but Im gonna go for it .
Peugeot 106 1527cc DIESEL . Working on an average mpg (just got the car) But working towards 80mpg, with some modifications. (Running engine on 85% diesel 15% Sunflower oil) (6p per mile)

frv

Re: Back in a 106 (again )

Postby frv » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:18 am

Go for it! 80 would be brilliant :D
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

ssaaaabb

Postby ssaaaabb » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:24 am

Thanks, a few teething problems. think im roughly getting 70mpg. not as great as i hoped but i have a feeling 1. the fuel filter is clogged - hampering power to accelerate briskly before gliding. 2. air filter is very clogged and dirty - restricting available air, and so loosing power where more fuel is being used then air even though it contradicts number 1! . and 3. alternater belt is mega tight, which will cause more engine strain / losses.

Over next few days Ill replace air filter, fit a simple inline see through fuel filter, and loosen the alternaters belt tension. I have noticed a little extra mpg since changing from 15/40 mineral into 5w30 fully synthetic oil. It revs more freely up and down! and has a bit more 'go'. so far no leaks either so who said you cant use thin oil on an old diesel :D .......

tyres still at 37psi. im going to go to 40psi shortly too.

then go about loosing some extra weight from the car ( and myself) on a diet ;) i hope to be at 80mpg soon.
Peugeot 106 1527cc DIESEL . Working on an average mpg (just got the car) But working towards 80mpg, with some modifications. (Running engine on 85% diesel 15% Sunflower oil) (6p per mile)

frv

Postby frv » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:11 am

Thanks for the update - keep at it! :)
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.