Insurance Issue ( Overinflated tyres )

ssaaaabb

Insurance Issue ( Overinflated tyres )

Postby ssaaaabb » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:52 pm

I would really like some clarification on this.

Say my max sidewall pressure states 36psi, and I go over to 40 psi OR higher - Does that invalidate my insurance, OR could it mean, in case of an accident I could be automatically the one in the wrong for having the over inflated tyres????

There is probably not much legislation on this, if any at all. But I will ask all the same, as it will apply to must of us here going above max sidewall.

We can safely presume staying at or below max sidewall is fine and legal, and insurance companies would probably allow for a small margin over due to the difference in calibration of tyre inflating machines at petrol stations, but that margin for error is probably quite small - 1, 2 or 3 psi perhaps.

Is this a paranoid way to look at this issue, or is there no automatic blame for over inflated tyres incase of an accident?

For example, having tyres below the minimum of 1.6 in the prescribed area, not only gets you 3 penalty points if caught with one, there is a fixed fine and in the event of an accident - blame can automatically be presumed to the person with illegally worn tyre(s) .

Now, I know theres no points, or fixed penalty for over inflated tyres, but could an insurance company kick up a fuss, or point the finger if over inflated tyres are found??????? I have never seen anything about this in any insurance documents over the years.

I hope sombody will shed some light on this for me. I would love to go from my max sidewall of 36 psi to 40 psi ( only 10% over )
Peugeot 106 1527cc DIESEL . Working on an average mpg (just got the car) But working towards 80mpg, with some modifications. (Running engine on 85% diesel 15% Sunflower oil) (6p per mile)

frv

Re: Insurance Issue ( Overinflated tyres )

Postby frv » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:57 pm

Max sidewall of 36psi seems incredibly low. Mine are max 51psi but on previous car one of my tyres was max sidewall of 44psi which I thought was low.

Anyhoo, I've never known anyone check tyre pressures in the event of an accident, I would have thought having a low tyre pressure which could be visually seen (i.e. bulging where it contacts with the road) could be commented upon. Personally I find grip is better at 50F / 45R in my current car (so I'm actually just under max sidewall). In my previous nose heavy diesel Honda, 55 on the Front and 50 or 51 on the Rear was also fine. I used to lower the pressures in wintry weather. It all depends on the car, my wife's Honda Jazz only has a 1.2L engine and anything over low to mid 40's on the front is too much.

I wouldn't worry just along as you feel safe with whatever pressure you go for.
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

ssaaaabb

Postby ssaaaabb » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:07 pm

Alright, I understand what your saying - its not going to stand out, like low pressure would. and 36 psi is very very low . I have put my spare on, which allows 44 psi. so now have 2 tyres that say 44, and two saying 36psi. unmatching tyres.

ill no doubt look into it on google after I have finished my spaghetti bollognase dinner :D
Peugeot 106 1527cc DIESEL . Working on an average mpg (just got the car) But working towards 80mpg, with some modifications. (Running engine on 85% diesel 15% Sunflower oil) (6p per mile)

Jocko

Postby Jocko » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:50 am

I realise this is a very old thread, but I would never consider inflating my tyres to the sidewall pressure. This is the maximum safe pressure that the tyre can take. The recommended pressure for a tyre on a car is determined by the manufacturer, and is usually shown on the inside of the B pillar in the form of a transfer.
Tyre pressure sticker.jpg
Tyre pressure sticker.jpg (5.16 KiB) Viewed 16751 times
This pressure takes into account the vehicles weight and use as well as being chosen for comfort, handling and tyre wear. If you over inflate the tyres you get a much harsher ride, less grip (hence better fuel consumption) and increased tyre wear in the centre of the tread.

With regard to tyre pressures not getting checked after an accident, this may be true after a relatively minor bump, but in an accident causing life changing injuries, be assured that a police vehicle examiner will go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb, and one of the things they will check are tyre pressures. I'd rather miss out on a few mpg rather than do time by causing death by dangerous (over inflated tyres) driving.

frv

Postby frv » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:10 pm

I don't run the Audi as high as the Honda FR-V I used to own which was quite nose heavy but I'm still at 45F/42R (sidewall max is 51) which seems to me to be the best balance. I've never had increased tyre wear in the centre of the tread over many 10's of thousands of miles, I've actually experienced less uneven wear and greater tyre longevity as the outer edges now wear at the same rate as the rest of the tyre! I find the grip and turn-in are better at slightly higher than normal pressures compared to the ones indicated on the B pillar. These numbers are always a compromise and the car manufacturers err on the side of caution and comfort.
I agree, if your tyres pressures are way too high, ride comfort, grip and wear will be worse, it's just finding the right balance.
I would never advocate anyone to run their tyres at max sidewall as each car is different. Our Jazz performs best in the low 40's front and slightly lower rear.

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

Jocko

Postby Jocko » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:22 pm

I have tried slightly increasing my tyre pressures from the recommended 32 psig to 35 psig. I don't like how it feels in the wet though. Mind you, the Firestone Multihawks I have on the front have always felt a bit skittish. Very easily pushed to understeer in the wet.They are only C rated for grip.
I think the rears came of a Bulgarian trailer!

frv

Postby frv » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:39 pm

Just recently had the Audi through it’s first MOT and sent it in with Fronts on 50psi and rears on 47psi. With the new MOT test they don’t even check tyre pressure, they just visually check the look of the tyre and tread remaining etc!! The tyres came back to me with the exact same pressures I sent in at.

rob.e

Postby rob.e » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:08 am

do you guys see any improvement in mpg with 50 psi? Is it worth doing?

My factory pressures should be 38 IIRC. Do you think i'll see a difference if i go for higher pressures?
2015 honda civic tourer 1.6 D-TEC rocketship

frv

Postby frv » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:10 pm

Definitely, I pumped mine up again at the weekend as they’d dropped 2 to 3 all round. Currently running at 50 front and 47 rear. Max sidewall on my tyres is 51.
I wouldn’t recommend going straight to 50 though as you have to find the right balance for your car, in my wife’s Honda Jazz I generally run that at 45F / 42R as it’s a bit skittish any higher. My Audi handles really well at higher pressures and I don’t feel like I’m compromising on grip but then again I don’t drive that fast as I usually drive for economy.