Home Insurance.

tighterse

Home Insurance.

Postby tighterse » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:07 am

Last year I insured with Saga at what seemed a reasonable premium. The renewal for this year leads to a 30% increase. I e-mailed saying I was not happy and the immediate response was a £30 reduction meaning that the increase was only 20%. So I e-mailed again stressing my unhappiness. The reply, and I quote verbatim includes the phrase, "regrettably last year you received a new customer discount...".

I think they would like to have added, "...and this year we want it back".

Up yours Saga!
Kia Ceed 1.6 crdi isg Retired undefeated on 25,720 miles and 62.91 mpg overall

Now driving my second Sportage.

Warning. May contain a nut.

frv

Re: Home Insurance.

Postby frv » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:13 pm

:lol: Shop around every year, there is nothing to be gained by loyalty :D
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:52 pm

Renewal notice again. Last year I switched to Direct Line and this year's premium is competitive again so I've stayed with them. About the same time the renewal notice for central heating and boiler insurance arrived from Homeserve. Last year it cost £72 after an introductory bonus but this year, like Saga they want it back and asked for £180. I offered them £90 but was turned down so I'm off to SSE who are offering the first six months free followed by £14.2 for the next six, just under £90 for the year. No doubt next year they'll want it back so then I'll head somewhere else.

As you say - loyalty sucks.

Smithsk71

Postby Smithsk71 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:38 pm

Late reply but we've been with Directline for a couple of years and we don't tend to rock the boat chopping and changing as we're very close to the Great Ouse. But this year it was up another £65 on renewal to about £425 so the missus switched to Aviva for £165 with £60 odd Quidco cashback - result!!
2008 Touran 1.9 SE - best tank 752 miles
2000 Golf GTI - best tank 475.9 miles
Retired - 2013 Clio dCi 88 - 32 fill-ups (27,631 miles) @ 68.6mpg average

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Interesting. We're with Direct Line as well. Last year when we came home from holiday there was a smell of gas. We opened all the windows and doors and called the Gas Board who sent an engineer out very quickly. He diagnosed a leak under the house caused by a pipe reacting with brickwork; only the second time he had seen it. We called DL who told us it was not a claimable item since it was "inside" the property- goodbye sir. So we paid an emergency plumber who found the leak, confirmed the first diagnosis and repaired it. Two day later a letter from DL asked if we were happy with the service. So I wrote to them and said I was not happy in the least. The upshot was a call from a customer relations manager who said the letter should not have been sent, he had looked at the incident and confirmed it was in fact a claim and enclosed a cheque for £200 plus an invitation to re-submit the claim. We did not re-submit since the £200 covered what we had paid. Renewal was last month and only a few pounds higher than last year so we renewed.

On the subject of boiler insurance. 2 years ago we were with Home Serve but the renewal terms were much higher so we went to SSE as a new customer. Of course this year's renewal was at a higher price so we left SSE and went back to Home Serve. I'm just looking at a letter from them welcoming us as a new customer on specially reduced terms.

Shop around and complain loudly - it pays.

frv

Postby frv » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:38 pm

Managed to get house insurance with Co-op this year for £135 plus £50 of food vouchers. It includes cover for bikes, etc. Will come in handy for Whitby holiday in July 8-)
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.