Sneaky O2

tighterse

Re: Sneaky O2

Postby tighterse » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:04 pm

Dancing Bear. I have lots of time. This might be a touch quixotic but unlike the creation of Cervantes I'm enlisting high level help; if I (we) can really get some M.P.s and M.S.P.s interested in making a name for themselves something might happen.

Mike. I have disabled the phone but when I did there was a warning that some apps might still make contact behind my back although they were not specified.

O2 have not replied to my last letter and, as far as I know, the other companies have not responded to my local M.P. I used the word "we". Other contacts of mine have the same problem but live in a different constituency. They have contacted their M.P.s and are asking that the phone companies be investigated under the "Unfair Contract Terms" legislation. The appropriate section may be "hidden terms". If you have time look up O2's contract terms on the web - a three part novel. We are also talking to local Trading Standards and Citizens Advice offices. As far as M.S.P.s are concerned we are not sure if this is a "reserved" matter but take the view that S.N.P. representatives will do anything for a "yes" vote and Labour adherents are a touch on the bolshie side anyway and always up for a fight.

In Scottish terms we are set on creating a "right stooshie".
Kia Ceed 1.6 crdi isg Retired undefeated on 25,720 miles and 62.91 mpg overall

Now driving my second Sportage.

Warning. May contain a nut.

dancingbear84

Postby dancingbear84 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:59 pm

Too be fair it is getting colder in Scotland and there isn't a lot too do when the weather gets cold. :-) I'm joking by the way.
Being serious though It is far too easy to say Meh and do nothing, thinking that you'll get nowhere. If more people did what you're trying to do and actually tried to make a stand maybe things would begin to change.
1998 Peugeot 106 1.5d zest 3
MPG Claimed (on autotrader): 53

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:26 pm

A quote from an answering letter from O2.

"You may not necessarily be aware when your phone connects to the Internet. It does this in the background automatically to check and download the updates. When this happens we charge you for it."

Pre-installed Apps, including E Bay, You Tube and Amazon CANNOT be removed; they are installed by the manufacturer and are part of the Android system. If you have an Android phone go to "Settings" then "Applications". You will see that the apps can monitor and report ANY calls you make, ANY sites you visit on the internet and so on. It also applies to contract phones.

Were you told about this when you bought the phone? Does it worry you?

I certainly was not told and bloody yes it does worry me. But what upsets me most is that I have to pay to be followed about and spied on. Bloatware on a computer can be removed and your permission is required before any FREE updates are installed.

The war goes on.

dancingbear84

Postby dancingbear84 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:08 pm

I may be wrong here, so don't take what I say as the complete truth, but I thought that most apps could be removed, especially eBay, Amazon etc. Unless the carrier (o2 added them to the software) Stuff like youtube is a Google product which is at the core of Android so no it can't be removed, rightly or wrongly, I'm not sure.

If you open the "play store" find your way to settings, you can turn off the auto update function, or set it to only auto update on wifi.

As for the spying, most of the permissions for an app are you harmless and required for the way the app functions.

The Internet is almost essential for a modern smart phone to operate, turning off auto update in play store may help, turning off mobile data and setting a mobile data limit in the settings may help. Also check if you have Google plus app installed, there is a feature that automatically backs up photos taken to Google drive. It can be turned off in you like.

As for the bloat ware this is an ongoing thing within the industry, it is an issue that Google are aware of and are trying to resolve, they refer to it under the phrase "fragmentation" where devices don't get the latest version of the software, but fundamentally what you are saying also applies, they want to make android a plain os with any customisation done through apps, this would hopefully prevent some of your frustrations?

The other high tech warranty voiding solution is to root your phone (giving you superuser access) then you should be able to uninstall most apps, or install a plain android rom. BEWARE : This is warranty voiding, may brick your handset (ie destroy it, making it a brick) and cause other issues. It is not for the faint hearted. Please don't hunt me down if it goes wrong.
I wouldn't recommend it unless you are fully aware of the consequences.

In terms of the not being aware, I seem to recall, though again could be wrong, that when you fire the phone up for the first time out the box, it gives you a series of next buttons, one of which relates to the terms and conditions it may be in there...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:15 pm

An update. On a recommendation from Citizens Advice I have written to O2 asking it to refund the cost of the phone and any charges that have been applied. I further discovered that Amazon and E-Bay (and other apps) can monitor my phone and internet usage and even prevent me from putting the phone to sleep. This gets more scary by the day; O2 have authorised third parties to access personal information and there is nothing I can do about; except to stop using the device, which I have.

My MP has had replies from Vodafone and "3". Vodafone says that it never pushes app updates. "3" admits pushing updates but claims that its cost structure of 1p per megabyte means that what cost me £1 with O2 would only cost 10p from them.

I have contacted two local MSPs on the subject of the non-availability of hearing loops in local phone shops. Replies are awaited with agogness.

By the way, does anyone know of a low cost mobile smartphone that is hearing aid compatible. Doro do a dumb phone and Nokia have a suitable smartphone but - £400 - ouch and it is only sold in the USA and needs to be imported. The device should have a "telecoil" setting preferably "M3".

dancingbear84

Postby dancingbear84 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:41 pm

I've not really had much dealing with hearing impairment and smartphones, but this article implies that most modern smartphones are m3 compatible.
http://www.business2community.com/mobil ... ed-0551285
I'll do a bit of digging around though and see what is can find out for you?

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:53 am

Dancing Bear. You can see what I've already found out. Available only is the US and expensive. Hearing impaired people are treated like second class citizens in this country. But specs are acceptable ???

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:30 am

Another update and some advice.

My local M.P. is asking a Parliamentary question wanting to know what action the Government proposes to do about my complaints. This includes the insertion of unwanted apps as part of the device programming, charging for app updates (wanted or unwanted) and lack of explanation of terms and conditions.

If you are looking to buy a new phone go to someone like Phones4U or Carphone Warehouse and get an “unlocked” device. Then buy a Sim from someone like Talktalk or Giffgaff; you can get an enormous amount of “minutes”, texts and Internet for less than £10 per month; with Talktalk I get 300 “minutes”, 3000 texts and 1Gb internet for £3.75 per month. Go for a 12 month contract so you can easily change to the cheapest at the time of renewal and note that it is easy to keep an existing number. If you want apps get them through Google Play and set the “preferences” to “no updates without permission”. The iphone may be different although I can’t understand why anyone wants to spend that amount of money just to say, ‘I’ve got an iphone’; the most overhyped device in history.

Just now I’m using an old Samsung Wave that runs “Bada”. It belonged to one of my sons and was dumped when he bought a newer device. It does everything I need and as far as the mobile phone industry is concerned I am invisible and inviolable.

dancingbear84

Postby dancingbear84 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:03 am

Unfortunately you're not invisible. Talk mobile is a virtual network, they run on another network, but off the top of my head I can't remember which one. It is true that you will not be charged by o2 but you will probably be using o2 or Vodafone infrastructure. Using your mobile makes you so far from invisible it is scary.

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:29 am

Vodafone. Didn't even have to get the device unlocked.

Believe it or not I am being pressurised by the CEO to start Facebooking. Her Appointed Successor is swanning around Australia just now and the CEO want to see her picture album. I keep telling her Skype is live and best!