Sneaky O2

tighterse

Sneaky O2

Postby tighterse » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:12 pm

I don't use my mobile much. I top it up £10 at a time maybe three times a year but during my recent holidays I did use the internet and paid £1 a day to do so. I have not connected it to the net since then.

Last night about 20.00 I switched it on to put it on charge and saw a note (not a message) that I had been allocated 50 mb of data to use before midnight and £1 had been taken from my balance.

I got on to the O2 site and "Prunella" apologised and arranged to repay the £1. I wondered if this had happened before and chatted again to "Lennie" and then his supervisor "Syed" tonight. The upshot was that I could not have received any such message; my phone had contacted the net on its own to "update an app"; smartphones always contact the net when the are switched on and so on and so on. Everything but admit O2 have found another way to screw PAYG customers.

So I told them this customer is going to screw O2; to a wall with 10 inch screwnails.

This is me just loading up. Keep watching.
Kia Ceed 1.6 crdi isg Retired undefeated on 25,720 miles and 62.91 mpg overall

Now driving my second Sportage.

Warning. May contain a nut.

ishtmail

Re: Sneaky O2

Postby ishtmail » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:49 pm

Holy mother of god... 1 quid for 50 megs of data?

Don't they have a per-kilobyte or per-megabyte rate?

Over here, my provider has a nifty feature: 1GB daily. I can buy one gigabyte of data each day (whatever I use, I use, the leftovers aren't transferable into the next day), and it costs about 1,5 euros (1,2 pounds). So, for about the same money as you, I can get 20x the data.
So, if I were to need a lot of mobile internet on any particular day, I just pay the 1,5 euros and I have one day of luxury ahead of me.

But yeah, those smartphones are sneaky bastards. I always turn off the mobile data connection whenever I'm not using it, and switch to WiFi when I can.
Škoda Octavia Combi 1.9 TDI 90HP, 2004

Best trip: 100,89 mpg (2,8l / 100 km) / 6,8 miles
Best tank: 83,55 mpg (3,38l / 100km) / 990,1 miles
Longest tank: 82,06 mpg (3,44l / 100km) / 1001,4 miles
Average: 72,73 mpg (3,88l / 100km) after 16.452 miles

frv

Postby frv » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:10 pm

Although I work in IT I'm a a bit of luddite with mobiles (or tight I'm not sure which ;) ) but I never pay for data and have it switched off all the time except for the odd month when I top up £10 and get 1Gb of free data. As soon as the month is up I switch mobile data off again never to be switched on for 8 or 9 months until I top up again. I use free wifi whenever I can.
I even resort to sending texts from my PC (I get 30 a month from Orange) so I don't use my credit up :D
I have an HTC Desire S smartphone with a cracked screen (daughter dropped it) but it'll do until she upgrades again and then I'll end up with her iPhone 4S.
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:57 pm

I can, if I want, get unlimited net usage for £1 per day but I only need that very rarely.

What gets me with this one is that O2 sneakily took £1 for 50 mb WHETHER I USED IT OR NOT. And they may have done so in the past but won't admit it. Then what it tried to do was to blame something else like "app updates". I didn't want the b****y apps but they can't be deleted.

I've lots of time on my hands. Oftel, Citizens Advice, Watchdog and any other organisation I can find will hear from me and hopefully get involved. I know it's throwing buns at an elephant but I'll enjoy it.

Coincidentally Talktalk are offering a SIM only deal at £3.75 per month. This gives 10 times more than I will ever use but for £42 a year it's almost as cheap as my O2 PAYG just now and it gives me free calls to and from home which is a Talktalk landline.

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:49 pm

Now on to round 2 with round 3 coming up quickly. I wrote (I love snail mail) to O2 asking for an explanation. Of course it has responded with a series of "security" questions straight out of, "How to frustrate a customer manual". I have answered as well as I can but said if they want more information, including my inside leg measurement, I will visit an O2 shop and expect to be greeted and measured by the best looking girl in the shop.

I have seen their "security" questions and raised them a Data Protection Act. (Poker player talk). Should be getting very interesting very soon.

In the meantime I am looking to set up a cheap site "Donate a Fart to O2". Is this Twitter or Facebook compatible?

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:24 pm

I've recently moved over to Tesco mobile who run on the O2 network.

I get a cracking deal of 12.50 a month for 1000min, 5000 text and 2GB of data. You can also "cap" your bills FOC so as not to get any nasty surprises. You can also get top cash back for a month free.

I have a Google Nexus 4 phone SIM free so its a no brainer for me. I did however get shafted for mobile data when we went to Spain. Cost me £3 a day on top of my normal bill.

http://shop.tescomobile.com/sim-only

All phone companies are the same though tbh, they really don't care about me or you as we are such small customers. We do however get very good customer service with our company mobile phone contract.
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:50 pm

This is an update on the latest in my war with O2. It hasn’t realised a state of war exists but very soon it will be aware of exploding bombs.

No reply has been received to my request for the data on my file so before I remind them another three fronts have been opened up.

On the second front I returned the device to an O2 shop and asked for a refund. I was told this is not possible but the phone was retained and is being sent for repair (?) and will be back within five days. Something else very interesting was noticed by me but that will have to wait before I reveal it. The, very helpful and pleasant, young lady asked for a phone number but couldn’t operate my newish Samsung to find it and has taken my home number.

The third front was an e-mail to my local MP asking for assistance. I found out he is a Mr. Michael Connarty (Labour) and his constituency includes Grangemouth, home of Ineos where I note the union convener has just resigned. He appears to be in Lithuania at present, why I don't know.

The fourth front will be a major one but as I noted earlier I can’t reveal too much just now. I was talking to an acquaintance to whom the very same thing happened – a £1 charge for 10 Mb data and it has happened to him before. He is also going to visit an O2 shop and ask for his money back.

I also managed to find O2 terms and conditions on the web. Fourteen pages but they include references to other terms and conditions so I am looking at a potential three volume book. Just some more information that may be used against O2. All in all very interesting.

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:05 pm

The bombs may be on target.

My local M.P. (Michael Connarty) has replied and enclosed copies of letters addressed to OFCOM and the individual chairmen of the other major operators. They are asked to explain if they levy unauthorised charges and OFCOM is asked to investigate. To help him I have sent him screen shots from the phone that show clearly that Apps are allowed to access and charge without permission from the owner. I have also asked him to refer the terms and conditions to the appropriate authority to check for fairness.

O2 has replied asking me for a formal data protection request and still refusing to answer my question although it offered to remove the internet from the phone. I have replied asking them to remove all of the offending Apps and answer my question.

Now the surprise. I am almost totally deaf and have two hearing aids. I mentioned a friend in the same position who also has had O2 taking money. Today we both visited different O2 shops and asked that the "hearing loops" be switched on. Surprise, surprise - one wasn't charged and the other wasn't working. This is an offence under the Equalities Act (DDA). The respective councils who are responsible for implementation of the Act have been informed and asked to take action. While we were out and about we visited other phone shops and only one (EE) actually had a loop - the others had nothing, not even an uncharged device.

They can blame it all on O2.

dancingbear84

Postby dancingbear84 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:08 pm

Whilst I whole heartedly admire your one man stand against o2/Telefonica, and I accept that you may have plenty of time on your hands, I think that the faceless corporation may win. I hope that it doesn't but I suspect it will.
I'm watching with interest.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
1998 Peugeot 106 1.5d zest 3
MPG Claimed (on autotrader): 53

MikeMarsUK

Postby MikeMarsUK » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:33 pm

Yeah, I think your best bet is to disable data on your phone. These smartphone handsets are 'chatty' and will try to use data for several different things (firmware updates, applications, maps, sending google/apple/etc all your personal details, etc).
Audi A2 1.4 TDI w/6-speed gearbox. Best tank 87mpg, average of all tanks 75mpg. Fuelly ID is MMUK.