Price of fuel

dancingbear84

Price of fuel

Postby dancingbear84 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:20 pm

Guys I'm sure you are aware of the horrendous price of fuel. No one seems to be doing anything about it. I know hypermiling helps but in the 5 or 6 years I've been driving the price has almost doubled. What if anything can we as citizens do. I mean where I live we HAVE to have 2 cars as public transport is non existent. Our combined fuel bills for both vehicles is now getting close to 20 - 25% of my monthly wage.
Is anyone doing something about it or do you have any ideas as to what could be done.
1998 Peugeot 106 1.5d zest 3
MPG Claimed (on autotrader): 53

Karl
Site Admin

Price of fuel

Postby Karl » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:19 am

I feel your pain. Fuel prices are really starting to hurt and yes there is only so much fuel that Hypermiling can save you.

Are you able to lift share at all? There are a couple of websites that allow you to match your route with another person wanting to lift share too.

As for the base price of fuel, unfortunately there is little you can do. Even fairfueluk group with the backing of celebs and businesses has failed to get the Gov to drop fuel duty. Fuel protests are an option however these have been poorly organised and advertised but maybe you could try and drum up support in your county.

I am in the same predicament. Having a big Volvo with a little petrol engine doesn't help. Now the weather has begun to turn and the nights are drawing out I'll get the bike out. I can halve my fuel usage by leaving the car at the in laws and biking the 5 miles to work. It saves me over 50 miles a week in fuel which really adds up.
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

frv

Re: Price of fuel

Postby frv » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:50 pm

I agree. I car share with 2 other people and it has saved me a fortune over the years.
I also use my bike for local trips - been to allotment on it today.
Go to dentist on my bike every time, quicker and cheaper (no parking charges), etc!
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

dancingbear84

Postby dancingbear84 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:57 pm

I'll take a look at car sharing, the only trouble is I start and finish at a funny time so I doubt there will be anyone around to share with. I also live in the middle of nowhere, and have to leave at 7.20 so if I picked someone up from my nearest town which is 10 minutes in the wrong way, I'd have to leave at 7am. Uggghh. Still I'm going to look into it, oh and I'd have to empty out the kit kat wrappers and empty coke bottles adorning the passenger footwell.
Given the terrain and road type and distance involved cycling isn't an option, at least for me. We have a train station, but no track to it, which is the only place in the UK to have this. The busses are useless, public transport would take 3.5 hours to get to my work, driving is 35-40 minutes.
I'm toying with a motorbike, as I've had 125s in the past, but the roads here are a bit scary for that, especially the last couple of miles.
In all honesty, it's depressing, but what can you do? It is one of the few times I wish we were more like the French, and protested or striked or something...

frv

Postby frv » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:55 am

Doesn't sound like you have to many options other than driving :(
On the bright side, if you empty out the coke bottles and kit kat wrappers you will save weight and get more mpg ;) - well maybe not noticable :)
If you keep at the hypermiling you will save even more fuel, I know many times I've thought I'd reached the FE plateau for my car and then achieved new levels.

We could be like the French but I'm not sure it would do us any good

STRIKE! :D

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

Lae

Postby Lae » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:24 pm

Just a thought DancingBear, have you considered an electric bike?

I had one a couple of years ago and it was fantastic. It had a throttle only mode and also peddle assist, I just used the throttle on normal roads/small hills and then peddle assist on difficult terrains or steeper hills. Its effortless, like having someone pushing you up the hills from behind :lol:

Unfortunately I sold my electric bike when we moved house to an area where I thought it wouldn't be required but regret it. Fabulous £500 investment. If it helps, I had a Powacycle Salisbury LPX using a lithium polymer battery and would highly recommend it. The battery is removable so when you've completed the journey just pull the battery out and pop it on charge at work or when you get home. There may be better value models around now.

If you are interested at all this site is great : http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/
The people on the forum are very enthusiastic and I'm sure if you wanted to give it a go there would be someone nearby willing to show you their e-bike!

frv

Postby frv » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:22 pm

Great tip Lae! I've never had a go on an e-bike but have seen a few about. I do a double-take when I see one going uphill and not pedalling :lol: - but it probably makes sense to pedal in those circumstances - hypermiling a bike :)

t0msmith

Postby t0msmith » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:32 pm

currently costs 142.9 at my local supermarket, 149.9 on the dual carriageway on the way to work

pedal cycling to work isn't an option for me - its an 84mile round trip!

all I could do was sell the car and buy a motorbike. I used to get 27mpg in the car, 36mpg hypermiling. Now get 60mpg on the bike, almost 100mpg hypermiling. Really makes a difference.

I do pedal cycle to the shops though as it's only 5 miles away.

frv

Postby frv » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:50 pm

I don't need any fuel but noticed diesel was 147.9 today at local Tesco :o

dancingbear84

Postby dancingbear84 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:16 pm

It's been that price down here for a while mate. The trouble is I do a 34 mile round trip and the hills are ridiculous, i live in Devon, i got married this week and had people down from all over the country, none of them could believe the hills round our way. The hill to our local town has an escape lane, honestly. I could take a look into an e-bike but I'm fairly sure the gradient would kill it