Interesting forum ;-)

Duncan

Interesting forum ;-)

Postby Duncan » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:38 pm

Hi there, my name is Duncan, as the username would suggest.. In South West Scotland, rural roads, plenty potholes and I'm looking at shuffling the garage around a bit! Found this forum on another random search of the tinterweb.

Currently run the (once) most aerodynamic production car in the world as a daily, 1991 Audi 100 avant, 2.0, five cylinder petrol. It gets well over 40mpg, which is quite amazing given it's age and size, it's quite big!

The first car which will be chopped from the fleet is a 2.7 twin turbo V6 petrol Audi allroad quattro... :oops: manages at least 25mpg, until you use the accelerator pedal. Also have various other rare audis but have been looking, for months, at cars which will fit the bill and get preferably FANTASTIC mpg.

I need to shift two adults, two kids, a pushchair, loads of baby wipes and sometimes a tent. The choice seems endless.. Do you get a tiny car which runs on fresh air, for school runs, shopping (50 mile round trip to the shops here in the stix) etc. and a big car for holidays and such things, or an 'all-rounder'? Having been used to the size of the old 100 inside anything we buy will seem cramped, sat in an octavia recently and it felt like a 1960s mini in terms of breathing space.

Any ideas on a reasonably economical jeep type thing also? We do get snowed in, mudded in, potholed in, etc. a tougher cookie would be no bad thing. I've looked at kia sorentos, jeeps, but you're struggling to get above mid-30s out of most of the things I've looked at. Or it it all in the driving technique? :)

Anyway, cool site, will keep me reading for a few months! Good subject matter also. ;)

frv

Re: Interesting forum ;-)

Postby frv » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi Duncan and welcome to the forum. I just saw your post and approved it :D

When I get a chance I'll have a go at answering your points. Your car history sounds interesting :)
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:33 pm

Hullorerr. First guess is around Castle Douglas and shopping in Dumfries but then maybe Newton Stewart and shop in the metropolis of Stranraer. Or maybe somewhere else. How is the new and improved A75 looking?

Onywye, what about Volkswagens. I had a Touran 1.9 diesel that returned over 60 mpg and had loads of space. Myself and the CEO, two grandweans, a full size caravan awning and other bits and pieces plus the wean's stuff. Or look at a Passat Estate. Loads of space and the 1.9 or 2 litre diesel can easily break 60 mpg. As tough as they come although sometime I felt the Touran was a bit iffy on ice and snow.

Have a browse on Spritmonitor to see if the bigger VW and VW derived (Audi, Seat and Skoda) could suit you. I'd say Fuelly but it is a bit messed up just now. I agree the Kia/Hyundai are probably not suitable. My sister in law has a Sorrento and there's less space in it than in my Ceed. Recently my brother bought one of the new Honda SUVs and, again, I'm not impressed with the carrying capacity.

Happy hunting. By the way, do you know if there are many salmon about this year?
Kia Ceed 1.6 crdi isg Retired undefeated on 25,720 miles and 62.91 mpg overall

Now driving my second Sportage.

Warning. May contain a nut.

Smithsk71

Postby Smithsk71 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:36 pm

Welcome :)

Our Touran 1.9tdi will be 6 years old on 1st September, I'll see what I can get out of it this weekend on 160 odd mile round trip with 4 up and a bit of luggage. Family won't let me drive too slow though, I'll get moaned at ;)
2008 Touran 1.9 SE - best tank 752 miles
2000 Golf GTI - best tank 475.9 miles
Retired - 2013 Clio dCi 88 - 32 fill-ups (27,631 miles) @ 68.6mpg average

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:35 am

Just to show what can be done. Take one Ceed hatchback - contains - fishing tackle in a 50 litre rucksack and two rods, full size Isabella awning with frame, four folding chairs, four fireside rugs (CEO likes comfort in the awning), inner tent for awning, groundsheet, 40 litre water carrier, 40 litre waste container plus some odds and sods. Single seat at back is folded down but double available for CEO and no. 2 female grandwean. No. 1 male grandwean goes in the front with me (he's a big laddie for his size). I like to get most of the weight in the car when towing. Then a caravan hitched behind. Diesel consumption - I'll be happy with 35 mpg. After a long experience (50 years) with cars, weans, grandweans and holidays I wouldn't recommend anything as small as a Ceed but - it can be done. Get a decent sized estate, Touran, Zafira or similar and stick the wee ones and the CEO in the back out of the way, get a set of earplugs and concentrate on driving economically.

Onywye, I'm off soon to where the internet is just a fairy story.
Kia Ceed 1.6 crdi isg Retired undefeated on 25,720 miles and 62.91 mpg overall

Now driving my second Sportage.

Warning. May contain a nut.

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:11 pm

Hi there, thanks for the welcome, completely forgot my password in an instant, mind of a goldfish, but found a minute now to sort out a new one!

Yep, Touran looks like a good all rounder, more research material!

I've been looking at the subaru outback boxer diesel.. Never going to be a hypermiler in one of them, but should do every job, might get 50mpg+, just don't know if I trust the principle! Potential pipe bomb springs to mind!

Salmon, don't know myself but can find out, the Bladnoch is the closest to us, I'll ask a man who knows. ;-)

Off to look at cars. Again...