Hello from Durham!

SteveGTI

Hello from Durham!

Postby SteveGTI » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:53 am

Hi all,

Thought I'd sign up and take part :-)

I've been into Hypermiling for some years now without realising. About seven years ago I managed to get a Mk1 Golf GTI to register 82MPG over a 22 mile run. It was pay day the following day and my fuel gauge didn't move when I turned on the ignition to drive home so I had no choice but to try and nurse the car home. I was so impressed that I'd managed to make it all the way home without an embarrassing walk that I started trying to repeat the feat.

For the last few years I was living within a mile of the office so bought a ropey old Porsche and did less than 2000 miles a year in it. A recent move back to the UK saw me change to a daily commute of just over 50 miles a day. The porka was expunged, in part due to rising values which meant I made money on it but mainly because it wouldn't accommodate a rearward facing baby seat.

I now have a Bora TDI which has VW's excellent PD 130 Turbo Diesel which never fails to return decent MPG whilst keeping a smile on my face when it needs to. The interesting twist to my commute is that it's mainly country roads and I pass through the highest town in the region (over 1000 meters above sea level) early on the run so a typical drive to work yields low to mid sixties yet the run home is high fifties thanks to some very serious hills.

frv

Re: Hello from Durham!

Postby frv » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum, 82mpg is astounding from a GTI but I suppose they are WAAAAY lighter than a modern car.

Are you averaging about 60, 61mpg in the Bora then?
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

frv

Postby frv » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:47 pm

I lived in Durham over 40 years ago in an estate off Carr House Drive to the North of the City. Went to Primary School there :D

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

SteveGTI

Postby SteveGTI » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:49 pm

Yes, I was impressed too. I'm not sure how accurate the trip computer in the GTI was at the levels of MPG it was reporting on and the car was a good 700 kg lighter than my current one. All I know if that it had no fuel registering on the gauge when I started it and I made it home. To be fair it did take me over an hour and a half to get home and the engine was running for maybe 30% of the journey but it sparked my interest.

The Bora is averaging between 56 and 60 MPG during the week. On the weekend it's pressed into more conventional service as a family saloon and my other half has a habit of giving it the beans up hills because it accelerates far better than her petrol powered Golf. That said, even with weekend service it's averaging between 52 and 54 across an average tank.

I'm hoping to fine tune my driving to hopefully improve on the figures I'm seeing. I think my first port of call, having read some posts on here, will be to adjust the tyre pressures as it currently runs the "two passengers, no luggage" setting but the "fully loaded" pressures sound like they may yield a better result.

SteveGTI

Postby SteveGTI » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:50 pm

I lived in Durham over 40 years ago in an estate off Carr House Drive to the North of the City. Went to Primary School there :D
WOW! Small world then! I was brought up in a house on the corner of Carr House Drive and Canterbury Road! :-)

frv

Postby frv » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:32 am

You're telling me! That's probably less then 1/2 mile from where I used to live on Wolsingham Drive :D

My wife doesn't drive my car (too big!) and every time I drive her Jazz the mpg goes up - funny that :roll: :lol:

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:32 pm

Hello and Welcome!

I love early the early VWs. I had a MK2 Golf GTi 8v and loved it! It didn't do great FE but it was a hoot!

I had the sam PD lump in my Fabia VRS but with a little more tuning - its a great little engine.
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

SteveGTI

Postby SteveGTI » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:12 am

Great cars those early Golfs! I've had five Mk1 Golfs, a Mk2 and three Mk3's.

I had a friend with the perfect compromise; 110 BHP TDI engine in a Mk2 GTI shell :-)

VW actually did a stop-start Mk2 Golf as a concept, I remember watching a piece about it on Tomorrows World in about 1989 ish.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:16 pm

That sounds epic in a MK2. Must have pulled like a train with all that torque and low weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing