So far i have been making it up as I go..

Daveyboy

So far i have been making it up as I go..

Postby Daveyboy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:35 am

Hi fellow hypermilers,

I was looking for like minded drivers and google led me here. So here I am.

Brief history - I have been driving for 18 years now and I have almost* always preferred to own fuel efficient cars. In the beginning a fuel efficient car made a dramatic reduction in my insurance premium, however, as time passed, the expense of fuel became a major factor in my driving style. Then, least importantly to me at first was the emissions/ environmental consideration. So I've always driven fairly... how to describe.. "lethargically". Only rarely will I exceed the speed limits and during those times i am very conscious of the extra fuel I am burning unnecessarily.

* slight deviation from this was when in 2009 I got a local job and bought an RX-8, which i had for 2 years. Fun, yes, but watching the fuel gauge drop as you drive took its toll on the experience. Mixed emotions when I sold it.

Over the years I have had several jobs with a 25+mile commute each way. In 2004 I was driving my 2001 mk4 Astra 1.7 DTI and having never heard of hypermiling, I started to take measures to increase my mpg. I was trying to get "the number" as high as possible between fill ups. I became obsessed with my average mpg and mileage out of a single tank. I started anticipating traffic lights turning green and adjusting my speed to pass as it turned green, and aimed to have the highest speed through the lights possible without touching the accelerator. i'd follow lorries and vans at 60mph on a 70mph road. I quickly saw the benefit of driving at reduced speed in terms of mpg, so that became a norm for me. I even took to folding my left mirror in one time for a whole tank of fuel. Only did that once. The gains were negligible and the reduced safety not clever. Never did that again. I even tried pulse and glide. with engine on and off. I saw this worked somewhat, but found this was a step too far for me. I think I'm too conscious of other road users to inconvenience anyone unreasonable. I won't try to save a few ml of fuel at the expense of costing other drivers the extra fuel to get around me etc. Anyway, the best I got from my astra was 703 miles from a full tank. 62mpg average was the best I got for my commute, which was mainly single carriageway A roads. Quite challenging to hypermile that route.

Now, I have a different commute. Mainly motorway. 50 miles each way. Currently, I'm driving a 2008 focus 1.6tdci. The computer on this car lies through its teeth. Its telling me I am getting 85mpg average, but I think its nearer 65. Somehow though, seeing such a fantastic number on the screen motivates me to aim higher. It doesn't display over 99mpg, so of course that's the target! I don't think it is possible to get to that though.
I have not made any modifications to any of my cars before, but I know with this focus, some improvements can be made, so I will be checking out all the modifications pages and seeing if there are any i'd like to try.

The holy grail for me would be to have an all electric car with free electricity powering it. But until options like the Tesla model 3 are available I will be doing what I can to get from A to B on as little fuel as possible (within limits).

So that's my story in short
David.

frv

Re: So far i have been making it up as I go..

Postby frv » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:25 pm

Welcome to the forum - I'm pretty sure most FCD's (Fuel Consumption Display) are inaccurate but that's ridiculous :lol:
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

frv

Postby frv » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:39 pm

With pulse and glide you can get some truly remarkable mpg numbers however it does take a bit of work. Generally I don't do it particularly on the commute because I car share and I don't think it would go down too well :lol:
If I'm on my own and it's quiet on the roads I'll do P&G in certain locations where it lends itself to gliding for a reasonable distance with the engine off. It improves mpg more when you are going slower as you have a lot more to gain. You also need to have the ability to have a reasonable delta (the difference between the max speed obtained at the end of the pulse and the point where you bump start), e.g 40 to 20mph will be much better than 35 to 25. After saying all that, most of the time I coast with the engine on apart from approaching a long red light where I key off the engine before I get there and roll to a stop. If I had a 50 mile mainly motorway commute I don't think I'd bother switching the engine off much (maybe just on steeper hills) and just Drive With Load (Drive With Load (keep pedal planted in one position while going up and down hills) and keep the speed down and throw in a bit of safe drafting.

My car sharer used to have an RX-8 and I think he was getting low 20's mpg ouch :o

You'll have to excuse us if we fall into the abbreviations trap but there is a link at the top of the page which you m,ay have found: It's here too: http://www.hypermiler.co.uk/forum/viewt ... ?f=6&t=696

Feel free to tell us your hypermiling exploits on the MPG Stats thread. We're on no. 20 now!: http://www.hypermiler.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1141

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

Daveyboy

Postby Daveyboy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:10 pm

Interesting. When I practiced P&G in, say, 2004, I was convinced it worked, but I found myself getting a bit stressed if holding people up behind me. But then I was doing it during rush hour on a single lane road. No way would I do it with 20mph delta.

Now though, I spend about 4/5 of my commute on 3 lane motorway or A road. I'll give P&G and FAS a go. I must have tried it a few times before in my current car, because I know that I lose power to the steering and brakes when ignition is off. Not worried about the safety of doing it, but what about legality? I'll have a good search through the forums when I get a chance. Bet all these questions are answered somewhere!

Anyway, there's a lovely section on the A23 on my way home that must be at least 2 miles of downhill (Or a horrid uphill section on my way to work!!). I will try out P&G there to start with. I already drive that section DFCO, or so I think.... No idea if my car actually cuts of the fuel supply. (Is that the correct way to use DFCO accronym? Or is DFCO the technology? As in - is it a verb or a noun?

Other than that, I think i'll be fine with the acronyms. I'm a mechanical engineer (for my sins.. :lol: )

And just for a laugh, here's my FCD showing my amazing 86mpg!!! Three cheers!!.. anyway, I reset the average FE and the odometer when I last filled up 518 miles ago. Tank capacity rated at 53 litres. Looks like I have about 1/3 of the fuel remaining. I'm aiming for 750 miles before filling up. We'll see...
small_85MPG fib.jpg
small_85MPG fib.jpg (120.51 KiB) Viewed 17017 times

frv

Postby frv » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:27 am

DFCO verb or noun - haven't got a clue! :lol:

Is the 2 mile stretch fairly steep? I've found (if leaving the engine running) knocking it into 'N' in most circumstances gets me better MPG compared to leaving it in gear and letting DFCO cut the fuel, as engine braking cuts the coasting distance considerably. Steep hills where engine braking is useful to regulate your speed is the only time I use DFCO. It can be useful though in busy traffic to save using the brakes.

My car has a 58 litre tank and the most I've put in was 55.5 over my distance record of 815.5 miles which netted 66.8mpg. My best ever tank though was this time last year when I got 67.92mpg over 803.5miles. On both occasions I didn't have the car sharer for some of the commute so I used a few more hypermiling techniques than normal ;)

I keep lots of statistics on spreadsheets (and on this forum) :ugeek:

Daveyboy

Postby Daveyboy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:55 am

DFCO - I mean - is it the technology of the car that stops the fuel from beig injected whilst coasting, or is it the act of driving with your foot off thee accelerator?

yes, the 2 mile stretch is steep. I take my foot fully off the accelerator and in 5th gear at 60mph, I will speed up to at least 75mph. This is what I normally do. I try to hit that section with a massive distance between me and any cars in front. Only rarely will I have to overtake during it..and on some rare occasions, its not ideal to overtake and I end up braking. Hate it when that happens!

Your year average is impressive. I get good averages when commuting, but it gets shot to bits when the wife uses the car at the weekend for a trip to tesco about 2 miles away! Car probably doesnt even get warm :(

Also, with car sharing, you are effectively halving your fuel costs and adding only half as many miles to the clock. I would really love to car share, but I don't know anyone doing this mega commute I do.. I still cry myself to sleep sometimes thinking about how I spend 3 hours a day in my car just to work the job I do. :lol:

frv

Postby frv » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:35 am

DFCO - I mean - is it the technology of the car that stops the fuel from beig injected whilst coasting....
That's right! Lift off accelerator whilst in gear and the fuel will be cut - usually happens above a certain revs, like 1300 or 1500 depending on the car.
yes, the 2 mile stretch is steep......and on some rare occasions, its not ideal to overtake and I end up braking. Hate it when that happens!
I know what you mean, grrr :evil:
Your year average is impressive.
Thanks, it's taken a few years to get to this level and the Ultra-Gauge I have fitted to the car's OBD II port is extremely useful at providing feedback on what works and what doesn't.
Also, with car sharing, you are effectively halving your fuel costs and adding only half as many miles to the clock. I would really love to car share, but I don't know anyone doing this mega commute I do.. I still cry myself to sleep sometimes thinking about how I spend 3 hours a day in my car just to work the job I do. :lol:
I reckon it saves me about 4000 miles a year so over the last 20+ years (yes, I have been car sharing that long :mrgreen: ) that's approaching 100k miles :D
It is a bit of a monster commute.....

p.s. You should be free to post now you've had 3 approved!

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:29 pm

Hello and Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you're already making good use of the most effective Hypermiling techniques - I'd be interested to see if you can make some eco-mods.

I too had an Ultra gauge, great little device but sold it when I got my Qashqai as the ODB socket was in a silly place.
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

Daveyboy

Postby Daveyboy » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:06 am

... that's approaching 100k miles :D
Wow. What a saving. That would be 4 years of driving at 25k years per mile.
Hello and Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you're already making good use of the most effective Hypermiling techniques - I'd be interested to see if you can make some eco-mods.

I too had an Ultra gauge, great little device but sold it when I got my Qashqai as the ODB socket was in a silly place.
Thanks Karl, i'd like to see what mods are out there. I know I have some maintenence related things I need to fix such as putting the engine bay undertray back on, since I left it off about 2 years ago when I did an oil change. No idea how much FE decreased by leaving that off. Also intersted in grill blocking. The way I drive, I doubt a little less cooling will cause problems.
Also - my A/C is shot to bits. Compressor shed teflon and block up the system. No plans to ever fix it, but it is dead weight i'm carrying around...

I might be interested in an ultragauge, but i would need it to pay for itself in fuel savings to justify buying it. Not sure it will. Also - I have no idea where my OBD port is, i'll have to take a close look. would be nice if it can display FE above 99.9mpg that i'm currently limited to. As informative as it may be, do you guys think it actually saves you fuel?

Anyway, I have only a few trips to work left in the tank. So by mid next week i'll fill the tank again and work out the stats and get them entered into the stats thread. I didn't exactly "brim" it but I do always squeeze the trigger 3 times after the first click. It should be pretty full. Looks like i'm going to hit at least 750 miles. :)

frv

Postby frv » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:22 am

Grill blocking definitely works and that's where the Ultra-gauge (UG) helps as you get instant feedback on coolant temperature amongst other things.
The UG can go above 99.9mpg.
It doesn't actually save fuel itself but the feedback like engine load, etc. gives you the ability to learn very quickly what works and what doesn't. I thought I'd reached the max mpg I could reasonably achieve in my car until I got the UG in Aug 2011, then it was a whole new level after the first few tanks of learning.
My year average was 51.51 in '10/'11 but jumped to 57.41 in '11/'12 then into the 60's after that. I can't put all the increase down to the UG as I also made other adjustments like upping the tyre pressures to 50psi which made a big difference to the length of my coasts.
I've definitely saved more in fuel than it cost me to buy plus I'm a bit of a geek so it interests me and gives me lots of stats :ugeek: