Introduce yourself...

MarPag

Re: Introduce yourself...

Postby MarPag » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:56 pm

I will be new in driving Hybrid cars. In August I will get a Yaris Hybrid, and I want milage for every drop of petrol, so I am interested in learning how to drive it in the best way.
When I have to go fare, should I drive steadily on motorways at 110 km/h or would it be better on more curvy roads with max. speed at 80 km/h.
I´ll be driving in Denmark where we have lots of smaller hills but no mountains.
The car has been ordered with a Cruise Control, but I am considering to cancel this, any comments?

Good advice on how to drive it will be very much appreciated.

Marianne

frv

Postby frv » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:48 am

God morgen Marianne and welcome to the forum (I know a little Swedish/Danish). I have been to Denmark and it's a lovely place and very flat as you say :D

You will definitely be better going at max. speed of 80 km/h for better fuel consumption. The faster you go above this, the more air friction (or drag) comes into play. (For higher speeds the frictional drag is proportional to the square of the velocity or more). The most efficient speed tends to be 80 km/h or under for various reasons - it depends on the car.
If the slower speed route doesn't involve lots of stopping, I would go that way.

I have cruise control and used to use it a lot. It comes in very useful on longer trips. Your flatter roads will be more suited to it's use so I would keep it.

Fortsat god dag!
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

ishtmail

Postby ishtmail » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:05 am

Hey,

Name's Jure, from Slovenia.

My daily commute is 130 kilometers, so on average I make about 3000 kilometers per month (1864 miles). Of this, about 90 kilometers are freeways, and about 40 kilometers are city driving and/or local roads.

Used to drive a 1999 Renault Megane Scenic 1.6 16V 107 HP, gasoline-powered.
At first, consumption was not an issue, so I pushed my car up to 160 km/h (99 mph). My average consumption for quite a while was around 11 liters per 100 kilometers (mileage was 21 mpg US / 25,7 mpg UK). A 53 liter tank would last for about 480 km / 300 miles. On average, I spent around 500 euros per month just for gas.

Once I started thinking about reducing costs, I slowed down on the freeways, down to 90 km/h (56 mph), and started using various techniques to lower my consumption.
This lowered my consumption to an average of 6,5 liters per 100km (mileage 36 mpg US / 43,46 mpg UK), which is pretty decent for a minivan with a gasoline engine. My best average for a single tank of gas was 5,7 liters per 100km (mileage 41 mpg US / 49,56 mpg UK), so that particular tank lasted for about 930 kilometers / 577 miles!
This reduced my costs of gasoline down to about 290 euros monthly, so a whooping 200 euros less!

In the long run, this car was not suitable for such a long commute. So I decided to switch, and I replaced my car with a
2004 Škoda Octavia Combi 1.9 TDI 90 HP, diesel-powered.

Now this car can do some mileage!

My average for the past year (I own this car since January this year) is below 4 liters of diesel per 100 kilometers (mileage of 59 mpg US / 70,6 mpg UK). My average tank lasts for about 1325 km / 820 miles.
My best tank was over the summer, when I drove 1507 km / 922,5 miles with 53,73 liters of diesel, resulting in an average of 3,57 liters of diesel per 100 kilometers (mileage 66 mpg US / 79,13 mpg UK).
My best single trip was from Ljubljana to Mirna Pec (Slovenia), 65 km / 40 miles driven with an average of 3,0 liters per 100 kilometers (mileage 94,16 mpg UK).
If you take into account that this is a 9 year old car, purely diesel (not a hybrid), and pretty heavy (over 1300 kilograms), you can see that this isn't too shabby at all!

My monthly fuel costs are now at about 170 euros for 3000 kilometers driven. Compared to the 500 euros I did with the Scenic, before starting to think economically... Well, I'm definitely saving some money :)

Here are some techniques I use:
1. slow and steady (90 km/h on the freeways with minimal gas to keep the speed)
2. engine breaking (especially downhill, when I can keep the nominal speed with the foot off the pedal, resulting in 0 consumption at that moment)
3. neutral driving (press the clutch at some moderate downhill slopes, keeping my speed with minimal consumption in neutral)
4. slipstreaming (behind large trucks that keep a constant speed of 90km/h, thus reducing drag and consumption for about 10%)
5. shutting the engine off at red lights (when I know it'll take more than 15 seconds before I have to move again)

EDIT EDIT:
Please note that all of the above galons used for mileage are US gallons. Just noticed that UK gallons are different. Will convert accordingly and add to the post.

EDIT 2: added UK gallons to the above post. Gee, it looks even more impressive now :)

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:21 am

Noting two recent European drivers gives me a chance to ask a few questions. You both appear to have no problem with English and it is much better than mines but I'm a Scotsman and correct usage of English is difficult for me. I've never been abroad other than to England so I'm hoping to expand my knowledge of European geography and driving conditions.

What kind of weather do you usually have in Denmark and Slovenia? I ask this since average temperature affects fuel consumption. Do you have long hot summers and/or cold hard snowy winters and how does this affect your fuel consumption? Do you have prevailing winds and how does any wind affect your fuel consumption? Where I live the prevailing wind is generally brisk to strong south westerly and it certainly increases or reduce my consumption depending which way I am traveling. Jure in particular mentions high usage of freeways. Just how busy are these freeways? For example, in Scotland our motorways are generally fairly quiet except for morning and evening rush hours. My experience of England is that motorways are busy all day.

I have a theory that drivers in the warmer parts of Europe should have lower fuel consumption so the questions are not as silly as they sound, from my point of view. Maybe Karl should recruit some Spaniards or Italians. Your comments will interest me.
Kia Ceed 1.6 crdi isg Retired undefeated on 25,720 miles and 62.91 mpg overall

Now driving my second Sportage.

Warning. May contain a nut.

ishtmail

Postby ishtmail » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:46 am

My English is decent because I've been reading English books all my life, and I've been active on forums that are mostly english-speaking. Not wanting to blow my own horn or anything, but as far as Slovenians go, I'm pretty above average in fluency, grammar and syntax.

In the summer, we get high temperatures (35 degrees Celsius) but for short periods of time (like a week at a time of a heat wave). This year we broke some records with 41, which lasted for about 3 or 4 days. Average summer temperatures are around (or slightly above) 30 degrees Celsius.
Autumn and spring are generally wet and moderate (usually between 15 and 20 degrees Celsius).
Winter is usually sub-zero (January might average at -5), with some very cold periods (up to a week), maybe -15 degres Celsius.

We get lots of snow in the winter, lots of heavy rain in the spring and autumn.

Consumption is definitely bigger when it's raining, but I can generally keep my individual commute trips at around 3,4 l/100km. The thing that's ruining my average is when I'm taking my wife somewhere: as we chat, I can't concentrate on my hypermiling as well, and because the car is heavier, consumption rises (week days I commute alone).

Wind isn't a big issue as the countryside is full of hills and forests that keep heavy winds at a minimum.

Freeways are busy, but the traffic isn't at a standstill: it's flowing at least at my usual hypermiling speed (80-90 km/h). Heavy traffic or congestions definitely increase consumption quite a bit... If I'm stuck in a 5 mile congestion, my consumption for that commute can rise from 3,4 to 4 liters per 100 km.

As for warmer climate being a factor: I don't really see a difference between hot summer days (35 degrees) or moderately chilly autumn days (15 degrees). If the weather is dry, I can make my optimum consumption relatively easy regardless of the temperatures outside.
Winter is a different matter. I've noticed that at around zero degrees, there's a big difference. +1 degree or -1 degree temperature can mean 0,5 liters per 100km for me.
And snow, obviously, can ruin any attempt at a decent mileage. I can still beat the factory-declared mileage by a large margin (factory specs state 5,0 liters per 100km, while I can even with snow reach below 4,1 liters per 100km). Luckily our winter services respond fast, with salt and/or sand constantly being dispersed on the freeways, and snow plows working 24/7 if needs be, so usually snow doesn't stick to the road for long.
Škoda Octavia Combi 1.9 TDI 90HP, 2004

Best trip: 100,89 mpg (2,8l / 100 km) / 6,8 miles
Best tank: 83,55 mpg (3,38l / 100km) / 990,1 miles
Longest tank: 82,06 mpg (3,44l / 100km) / 1001,4 miles
Average: 72,73 mpg (3,88l / 100km) after 16.452 miles

frv

Postby frv » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:30 pm

Hi Jure and welcome to the forum :D . You are getting excellent fuel economy numbers from your Škoda Octavia and you are getting better mpg than me. I have just had my best tank for distance at 815.5 miles (1312 km). Your best tank is actually 939.6 miles as the conversion factor is 1.609 km to each mile.
We don't use l/100km as a fuel economy measure in the UK (even though we buy our fuel in litres :roll: ) so thanks for converting those numbers to mpgUK. The best I have managed is 4.2l/100km or 66.9mpgUK.

Feel free to add your trips to the daily stats thread. Current one is no.12 - http://www.hypermiler.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 3&start=30. A conversion to mpgUK would be most welcome ;)
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:18 pm

Interesting! Sounds very much like northern Scotland but without a constant wind. I note you don't see much difference in consumption between 15 and 35C. I find the same but there certainly seems to be a line round about 10C. I agree with your comments about your wife and shopping - an absolute nuisance. The fact that you can still have low consumption even on local running is a point that I constantly try to address. On motorways and major roads with a decent run I can run close to your figures but simply can't do it on shorter distances. Frv can also manage startling figures on short runs and I'd like to unlock that secret. Interestingly my last car, a VW Touran, with 1.9 engine reversed this situation.

Keep us up to date with your exploits.

Go on Karl and frv - find us a couple of Spaniards or maybe Americans from the deep south.
Kia Ceed 1.6 crdi isg Retired undefeated on 25,720 miles and 62.91 mpg overall

Now driving my second Sportage.

Warning. May contain a nut.

ishtmail

Postby ishtmail » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:01 pm

Thanks for the welcome! I had a hard time finding a community of like-minded individuals who like to save fuel - it looks like over here gas is still too cheap for people to start economy driving :)
Your best tank is actually 939.6 miles as the conversion factor is 1.609 km to each mile.
Yeah, I actually made a mistake, just typed the miles from a spreadsheet I made with all the conversions, and the number I typed is an even number calculated from 53 liters of diesel, not 53.73. I think that one was the only wrong conversion in my post, but if anyone finds another, let me know :)

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:55 am

Bit late to this thread but Hello and welcome!

I always have to check the new user accounts for the Indian SEO farms and was surprised to see a genuine account from Slovenia.

Nearly 80MPG is a cracking result fro such a big car, keep us posted on how you get on.

We do seem to getting a good influx of new members recently, I hope the new layout helps... I find it much easier on the eye.
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

ishtmail

Postby ishtmail » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:32 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, it's pretty lonely being a hypermiler in Slovenia (I feel like I'm the only one, everyone else is apparently in a hurry when driving), so it's no wonder you haven't had any other registrations :)