Hi all. New member with budget Peugeot!

Karl
Site Admin

Re: Hi all. New member with budget Peugeot!

Postby Karl » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:48 pm

My VRS did the same - turned out to be the rear engine mount, most annoying :)
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

dancingbear84

Postby dancingbear84 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:59 pm

I would have been p**sed off had I not got a spare. On a different note I took the other half's zafira today and got 50mpg from it on a 35 mile round trip! Happy days!
1998 Peugeot 106 1.5d zest 3
MPG Claimed (on autotrader): 53

Bonzo

Postby Bonzo » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:51 pm

Thought I'd do an update on my old plodder.

It has been generally continuing to provide excellent budget motoring. I'm now convinced that it is at least twice as cheap as using trains to do the journies I do.

Main event for it this month was the MoT work.
It needed.....
A pair of front brake flexi hoses, 2x Motoquip items from ebay cost me £10.28 inc. delivery,
A litre-ish of brake fluid, from my stock,
A steering rack gaiter kit, £13.00 from my local motor factor,
A driveshaft-to-diff oil seal, £10 from the same supplier,
2x litres of 75w80 gearbox oil from Halfords- £13.58.

And that was it!!!

I also did an oil and filter change, the oil came from my stock and the filter was £2.06 from Halfords.

To be fair to it, I only required front brake hoses due to the old ones being slightly 'twisted' from where I'd fitted the GTi front brakes earlier in the year. I could have re-used the old ones but there's no point when parts are so cheap for these cars.
Likewise the driveshaft oil seal- it was creating only a minor drip and would not have affected the MoT but I don't like oil marks on my driveway!

The MoT test was £45, so this years' expense to stay legal was - £91.86.
I also bought a years' tax at the begining of August - £130 for 12 months.

All in all, the old banger is struggling on. Fuel consumption has stayed the same more-or-less, last tank was poor at 54mpg though :(
While I was doing the 'rack gaiter I removed the inlet manifold (space is very tight in the 106 Disease-al engine bay) so took the opportunity to clean out the inlet and blank off the EGR valve at the same time.
Will be interesting to see if this affects the fuel consumption.

8-)
Image Poverty-spec Peugeot 106 1.5 Diesel, no show- no go!
Survived the evil 'scrappage scheme' by the skin of its wheel trims!

frv

Postby frv » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:56 pm

That's low cost motoring Bonzo!
You'll have to try and get back into the 60's mpg, maybe the maintenance will help.
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:01 pm

EGR delete is the best thing you can do to any diesel engine. Why the hell they re pump soot back into the engines is beyond me, can it really reduce emissions so much?

Looks like some serious banganomics there - you're doing great!
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

Bonzo

Postby Bonzo » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:10 pm

Believe me, I was very disappointed to get below 60 mpg for, I think, the first time ever :?

I'm hoping it was a one-off or maybe I've spent more time than usual sitting at the lights. Thinking about it, for two weeks the car literally went down the road to the Park 'n Ride while I was doing Jury Service, so not my normal usage! It probably wasn't even warming up.

The inlet was very clogged up with the usual diesel tar. I'm hoping it will stay a little cleaner in there now the EGR is disabled!
What has amused me slightly is the engine oil. I drop it out every 4k as I get it free from a neighbour that I help out when he's working on his car. After 2000 miles, the oil in this diesel engine is still golden- I've never had a diesel that doesn't make its oil black straight away! Even at 4000 miles when I change it, it's still not that dirty. Who says old cars can't be 'green' :lol:

When all is said and done, I'm still happy with the budget Pug!

greenman

Postby greenman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:12 am

Fantastic work with this lovely old banger. I was just wondering how environmentally friendly it was to change the oil every 4,000 miles? Maybe this improves engine efficiency?
Skoda Fabia Estate SE 1.2 TSi 110 PS

dancingbear84

Postby dancingbear84 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:53 pm

I have my MOT coming up this month too, I hope mine is that good. I know it needs a service at the minute which I should get around to, maybe this weekend... Also bulbs tyres and such, I'm hoping to get another 55 to 57. Given the terrain here and the type of roads I use unless I FAS everywhere I'd struggle to do better.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
1998 Peugeot 106 1.5d zest 3
MPG Claimed (on autotrader): 53

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:53 pm

Fantastic work with this lovely old banger. I was just wondering how environmentally friendly it was to change the oil every 4,000 miles? Maybe this improves engine efficiency?
I think the old pug dervs are quite fussy when it comes to oil changes. My old 306 dTurbo was every 6k. That was a cracking little car.

Bonzo

Postby Bonzo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:42 am

To be honest, if I didn't get my oil free, I wouldn't change it so often.. :oops: It only takes 4.5litres though.
The service book says every 10,000 miles for the indirect diesel engines, but also says that figure should be nearly halved to every 6000 miles if the vehicle is subject to 'arduous conditions'.
They also say that arduous conditions include... "countries with hot climates, countries with cold climates and countries with a dusty atmosphere" :lol:

Just bought a less restrictive air filter, so will soon be able to report back if that makes any difference.