Winter Hypermiling Tips...

Karl
Site Admin

Winter Hypermiling Tips...

Postby Karl » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:04 pm

As most of the country today saw its first snow I thought It would be a good time to get together some winter Hypermiling Tips. I'm sure there are loads but here are a few to start.

Reduce idling: Use your Garage (if you have one) or cover your windscreen up over night to ensure an ice free morning.

Park into the sun: If you don’t have a garage or windscreen cover - Let the sun de-ice your windscreen instead of idling until your heaters slowly thaw it.

Take off the snow: It may look pretty but snow not only weighs a far bit but also increases drag.

Ive posted these onto the main page but I will be also adding them to the Hypermiling Techniques page. If you have got any other ideas then please post below.
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

IanLorenc

Re: Winter Hypermiling Tips...

Postby IanLorenc » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:45 am

Remember, nature doesn't need the whole night to frost things up. I've lost count of the number times that I've gone into evening class just before seven, come out just after eight and the car's iced up already. So, if you are out and about in the evenings or early mornings, carry de-icer or a scraper in the glove box (if you're going to choose the scraper, I'd also keep a pair of gloves in there too!).

If you don't have heated mirrors (or even if you do!), a piece of card held in place with masking tape, will stop them icing up. I should imagine a carrier bag over them, held in place with an elastic band would also do the job.

An 'Anti-Mist' product will stop the interior misting up, removing the need to use the heater to clear the windows inside. I'm using some Halfords stuff ATM and it actually does work...in a fashion. I'll try and get round to doing a proper, useful product review.

A stiff bristled, long handled brush (gently used!) is ideal for clearing the roof of snow. Especially if your car is a little higher than normal (e.g. people carrier). Also handy for clearing that "lip" of snow, that somehow gathers around the wheels.

Set your alarm clock ten minutes earlier! Give yourself extra time so if clearing the car takes longer than anticipated, you don't feel compelled to "make up time" on the road to avoid being late.

cover your windscreen up over night to ensure an ice free morning.
One helpful pointer would be to NOT cover your windscreen by using a blanket, held in place by trapping it in the doors. If it rains instead of snowing/turning icy, you somehow end up with a load of water inside the car. If you're unlucky (like I was!), most of it inexplicably ends up on your seats!
Cheers.
Ian.

Guzzlin' them green volts.

frv

Postby frv » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:27 am

One helpful pointer would be to NOT cover your windscreen by using a blanket, held in place by trapping it in the doors. If it rains instead of snowing/turning icy, you somehow end up with a load of water inside the car. If you're unlucky (like I was!), most of it inexplicably ends up on your seats!
I use an large old sheet held in place with the doors but I only tuck it into the vertical part and hold the front in place with the windscreen wipers. No wet seats this way!
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:54 am

I use a plastic sheet I got from Halfrauds, not had it ever leak and I tuck it in to the doors. Anybody seen one that hooks to the mirrors and top of the wind screen?
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

IanLorenc

Postby IanLorenc » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:55 pm

I must have been really unlucky!
:? :roll:
Cheers.
Ian.

Guzzlin' them green volts.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:38 pm

Today it took over 4 miles for my engine to get to normal temp and I dropped nearly 5MPG average for the same trip. Suppose it doesnt help that the lights and fan are on. Not only that it took me half as long again this morning as the roas were iced up good and proper.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:24 pm

The winter is hitting me harder than expected. I'm having to crawl up to junctions and corners which has pushed my MPG down to 45! Time to take a different route thats gritted me thinks. How is everybody else holding up?

frv

Postby frv » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:56 pm

I doing absolutely rubbish at the moment - down to 43 from 50+. Just starting to creep back up with the temperatures back above 0 in the morning. I'll be gutted if I don't beat the manufacturer's combined figure, never mind get back to the heady heights of 55!

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

DervMan

Postby DervMan » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:12 pm

Appalling! Drives to and from the office are showing 38 to and 40 back. Take off 7% and you're closer to the truth.

Last tank was a recoed low at 33 to the gallon.

<shock>
Annika: 2004 Saab 9-3 1.8t @ 38.9 mpg / 111%
Data over: 524 days, 67 fills, 28,358 miles
09/11/2009: Winter is coming.

frv

Postby frv » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:11 am

Filling up by Sunday (for my last 5p off!) so I'll get the actual figures then. I've been looking back at my records, and last December (pre-hypermiling) I dropped from 47.19mpg pre winter to 44.64 by the end of March (5.4% drop) and the year before I dropped from 46.49mpg to 44.76 (3.7% drop) so a definite pattern there. I think the drop this winter will be a much larger percentage as I will be coming from the highs of summer hypermiling :roll: