Drafting

Veloplus

Re: Drafting

Postby Veloplus » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:32 am

Whilst travelling on the motorway, I regularly draft trucks, but always applying the two second rule. I find that a considerable number of trucks travel at 51-52mph, which is sometimes slower than I would wish. My ideal is around 55-60 mph which means frequent overtaking of slower moving trucks.

There is a noticeable fuel improvement when drafting, however, it is not for everyone.

frv

Postby frv » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:26 pm

Agreed - you have to have safety in mind at all times.
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

t0msmith

Postby t0msmith » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:11 pm

I've tried drafting them on the bike and constantly found that I get better MPG staying on my own doing 40 - 45mph rather than sitting right behind a lorry doing around 60 mph. This may be down to aerodynamics - bikes are worse aerodynamically than a car due to turbulent air coming off the rider.

DrivingGenius

Postby DrivingGenius » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:04 am

I wouldnt take a "average" stopping distances to seriously tbh. Many of todays cars stop way faster than that. I say do what you feel comfortable with. I normally keep about 2 secs behind anything.
While it is true that most modern cars with efficient brakes and tyres will "stop" in a shorter distance than quoted in the Highway code, the Reaction time (Thinking distance) has not reduced.

The average adult who is fully alert, and more importantly, expecting something to happen, will react in about 0.7 seconds. This will be increased because of distraction, fatigue, poor health etc.

How far will you travel in 0.7 secs?
At 30 mph - 30 feet
At 50 mph - 50 feet
at 70 mph - 70 feet

If you are drafting the only notice that you will have of "sudden" problems ahead will be the brake lights of the truck ahead.
Assuming the the driver has reacted in the average time (at lets say 55 mph) he will already be braking by the time you have reacted. This will inevitably lead to you rear ending the truck.

Please remenber that the 2 second rule is aminimum distance and should be doubled in wet conditions and mutltiplies by 10 in below freezing.
My user name is my description