MPG competition - What MPG can you get?!?!?

banjo6969

MPG competition - What MPG can you get?!?!?

Postby banjo6969 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:22 pm

Thought it would be interesting to see what sort of MPG people get out of there cars on an average tank of fuel. I think i am pretty good at hypermiling (but i stop at switching the engine of whilst moving - too unsafe!) but i bet some other people will put me to shame!

Car: 06 Ford Focus TDCI
My commute: 35 mile round trip each day - some nice straights, but quite a few roundabouts and occasionally a couple of traffic jams.
MPG: I average about 65MPG (close to 700 miles on a tank). Some times a bit less but never below 60mpg.

So what can you guys get ,of course it will vary from car to car, but i would love to see what is possible out there.

SiKBoY

Re: MPG competition - What MPG can you get?!?!?

Postby SiKBoY » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:05 pm

(but i stop at switching the engine of whilst moving - too unsafe!)
Its not really that unsafe is it? I dont have a problem when going downhill takes a millisecond to stick it in gear and lift the clutch, as I drive a IMA my engine already automatically shuts off below 10mph when breaking!

Best so far is just under 69mpg on unleaded and thats 60 mile round trip country lanes to motorways all hilly!

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:29 am

Its not really that unsafe is it?
The problem with turning the engine off is that it effects both power steering and brakes on most cars. I personally wont chance it tbh even though it is clearly much more efficent.

As for an MPG competition, rather than highest figure we should really use the percentage gain over the manufacters figures. That would be a true test of your Hypermiling Techniques.
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

banjo6969

Postby banjo6969 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:12 pm

As karl said its the breaks and power steering in my car - if a child ran into the road or car stopped quickly in front it could be really dangerous - or even if you had a tyre blow out and you have no control over the car - just is not worth it for extra fuel economy - hypermiling is great - but only if done safely.

i'm not sure about how my economy compares with the drivers manual so difficult to accurately measure % increase in economy - i am just nosey and want to know what others get out of their cars!

SiKBoY

Postby SiKBoY » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:42 pm

I still dont agree, my AE86 has zero power steering and no ABS. Does that make it unsafe no because you adjust your driving style to the situation. I also partly disagree with the tyre blow out situation although I would class it as a residual risk, the speeds we are talking about are below 70mph. Also when was the last time a kid ran out on you on the motorway?

Its all about reading the road ahead, dont forget the added bonus of mileage. Coasting with engine off in a modern car doesnt put up your mileage....

Plus the fact I no longer need to worry about starting my car via the key, since my car has no starter motor its simlpy just lifting the clutch whilst in gear no jerks at all.

All in all we agree to disagree, no point in taking it further.

SiKBoY

Postby SiKBoY » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:46 pm

Forgot to mention the MPG figures for my car 65.7mpg extra urban and 57.6mpg combined.

My best combined so far is 68.4 on a 30 mile trip (combined), i think its going to be hard work to beat that.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:32 pm

Your quite right there - everybody has their own hypermiling techniques and ideas.

Back to the topic anyway.

I am getting about 57-59MPG which is a 40% gain over the combined value. Im sure that could improve but it really depends on how far I want to take it, eco tyres would be a good way forward but they will prob cost more than they would save.
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

banjo6969

Postby banjo6969 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:23 am

i got 82mpg on a 200 mile trip from newcastle to the midlands. Roads were clear and i did about 55mph all the way. took a while but phenomenal economy!!

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:11 am

Thats very impressive indeed. Any ideas on how much longer it took you? And more importantly... was it worth it?

guyd

Postby guyd » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:20 pm

I get 40mpg from my Honda Civic TypeR, over advertised 30mpg, a 33% improvement.

If the choice of car seems odd for a fuel-obsessee, it's not the petrol saving per se but the saving in relation to the manufactorer's figure that interests me.

I always coast downhill in neutral. I do not consider it remotely dangerous, and would challenge anyone to show how it IS dangerous, unless you sit a foot behind the car in front or other such boneheaded things.