MPG competition - What MPG can you get?!?!?

billysan

Re: MPG competition - What MPG can you get?!?!?

Postby billysan » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:36 pm

Forgive my curiosity, but what's that at the bottom of the display?:

0 50 100 150
. . . . . . .

:?: :?:

Cheers.
Ian.
Sorry for the slow time to reply. The numbers are part of the instantanious fuel consumption display. Its just a little bar graph that shows what you are getting at that exact second. The trick is to just nail the bar to a number and try to keep it there. It is ever so slightly distracting though, esp if trying to hypermile your way to big mpg numbers!!

billysan

Postby billysan » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:40 pm

I think thats the current MPG guage - a little like the ones in BMWs but in digital. Its a very smart dash indeed.

Whats with Autostop? Never really got how it works on the Honda
Auto stop is just Hondas name for turning off the engine when the car is stationary. It uses the torque of the IMA motor to stall the engine so it is fully primed to restart when you put it back in gear. You can actually autostop it up to 19mph if you are coasting to a stop, but with some very gentle pedal feathering you can pick speed back up going downhill with it autostopped still. The advantage of this is that all the systems still fully function because its all electric!!

The light is just an idiot light to let you know you havnt stalled it.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:18 pm

That all sounds very clever, do you get much use from the FAS and does it give you much more MPG?

Ive found so far that manual FAS doesnt give me that much more than simply lifting but then its a manual thing in my pug. I think I have seen at max a 9MPG gain.
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

billysan

Postby billysan » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:36 pm

I dont have FAS. I just know that if I can trigger AS by meeting certain criteria in the cars brain then if I can time it right (by slowing down over the crest of a hill) I can coast down the other side.

I dont know how much difference it really makes. And I only do it if I have nothing behind, and if my battery is full. If it is flat then I'll use the hill to regenerate but that means having the engine running.

So many things to think about!!!!!!!

Its very difficult to identify one single thing I do to improve my economy, just stay 100% focussed on keeping the speed constant, keeping the throttle smooth and openings low,

I know its highly frowned upon but experience has shown me the biggest gains come from slip streaming. I rarely do it as I almost came a cropper from doing it a month or so ago. Following a National Express coach when it suddenly pulled in the the fast lane on a DC. I was faced with a tractor doing 30ish and I was doing 60, it was only a bus length in front of me!!! I just managed to swerve out to avoid rear ending it. Big scare.

I stayed well back from everything today.

snow hope

Postby snow hope » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi all - first post. :)

I drove from Stranraer to Newcastle in June in my wife's car (see signature) and got 79.1 mpg over 200 miles - basic hypermiling and not going over 60mph. Generally my wife gets 58mpg out of it and if I am driving it quite a bit we can get it up to about 64mpg - that is town and urban driving! It is a wee beauty. :D

I got the Honda Hybrid a few months ago and my current average is 43.1mpg since I started (6 miles on the clock) - again very much urban and town driving - commute to work is 6 miles in the morning and 6 back in the evening. On a longish run I have got up to 53mpg out of the Hybrid, but I think you can definately got more out of the modern diesels. Anyone got a new Focus Econetic? I nearly waited for this, but went for my third Honda in a row (all company contract hire cars).

I hope to learn more in here, Cheers!
Me - 2008 Honda Civic 1.4 IMA Hybrid - 7,000 miles
Wife - 2004 Renault Megane 1.5DCi - 67,000 miles

billysan

Postby billysan » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:12 pm

Hi all - first post. :)

I drove from Stranraer to Newcastle in June in my wife's car (see signature) and got 79.1 mpg over 200 miles - basic hypermiling and not going over 60mph. Generally my wife gets 58mpg out of it and if I am driving it quite a bit we can get it up to about 64mpg - that is town and urban driving! It is a wee beauty. :D

I got the Honda Hybrid a few months ago and my current average is 43.1mpg since I started (6 miles on the clock) - again very much urban and town driving - commute to work is 6 miles in the morning and 6 back in the evening. On a longish run I have got up to 53mpg out of the Hybrid, but I think you can definately got more out of the modern diesels. Anyone got a new Focus Econetic? I nearly waited for this, but went for my third Honda in a row (all company contract hire cars).

I hope to learn more in here, Cheers!
Welcome to the board!!

I really do like the new civic IMA's. I was at my local honda dealer the other day picking up some bits to service mine and had a sit in one. I love how open they are. What really fascinates me is the 3 stage vtec system that shuts off the valves to allow you to run EV only. How well does this system work in real life?

Billy

snow hope

Postby snow hope » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:15 am

Hey Billy.

I am not very familiar with the jargan yet, but if you are referring to running on battery only, it can be used between 20 and 30 mph - I usually see it working about 27-29mph. I notice if you can keep it going - sensitive use of the right foot, it always boosts your mpg very quickly.

So far, my methods really just consist of accelerating slowly (ish), minimising my accelerator use at all speeds, generally driving slower than I used to, coasting up to corners and lights etc. I suppose just anticipating the road further ahead than I used to. And the use of EV(?) when I get the opportunity. Sometimes I knock the auto into neutral when I am going downhill as it coasts better - I tend to do this when the battery is well charged and the de-acceleration regenerating effect isn't really required. Is it okay to do this does anybody know? I also keep my tyres over inflated by about 3 pounds - so just slightly harder than recommended.

Any other hints would be welcome. My target is to get up to 50 mpg for my general urban/town driving.
Me - 2008 Honda Civic 1.4 IMA Hybrid - 7,000 miles
Wife - 2004 Renault Megane 1.5DCi - 67,000 miles

billysan

Postby billysan » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:48 pm

I would worry, it took me a while to work out all the jargon too. In a nut shell;
EV - Electric Vehicle
HEV - Hybrid Electric Vehicle
PHEV - Plug in Hybrid Electric Vehicle

Your technique sounds about right, and is pretty much what I do. While I love the whole hybrid theory the one thing that really annoys me is how inconsistent they are. By what you have said I think you have noticed it too. Its not like a normal car that behaves the same regardless as long as it has fuel in the tank. A hybrids character completely changes depending on the battery level, and this can change rather quickly depending on the road. It is slightly annoying that you cant coast because of the regeneration , I just rest my foot on the throttle enough to stop it, but not actually using hardly any fuel, if any. Sticking it in Neutral is fine too. If the hill is steep enough remember the engine is in fuel cut mode if on the over run and over 1500rpm so it might be better to leave it in drive. Just keep an eye on the instantanious fcd display and see what works for you.

87deathtruck

Postby 87deathtruck » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:01 pm

Best economy with truck is about 25 mpg (already converted to yall's system) thats with cruise set at 65mph. Any slower and I would have been rundown haha. Worst with my truck was 7mpg at 75mph towing 8500lbs. That to is converted haha.
Best with my car is 43mpg.
Ive managed 21 out of my dads GMC 2500HD 6.6L turbodiesel.
Rides: 1987 Chevrolet Silverado 5.7L (technically a 5.8 since its bored out) Best MPG: 21
2005 Ford Taurus Best MPG: 38

IanLorenc

Postby IanLorenc » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:40 pm

Worst with my truck was 7mpg at 75mph towing 8500lbs. That to is converted haha.
Holy s**t! I bet you could physically watch the fuel gauge moving! How big's the tank on the truck?
Cheers.
Ian.

Guzzlin' them green volts.