Run flat tyres

cycloneracer

Run flat tyres

Postby cycloneracer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:56 pm

I'm soon needing to change all 4 tyres on my car. At the moment I've got continental run flats, but I'm seriously thinking about changing to non run flats.

I'm quite limited on the choice of tyres because my wheels are odd sizes (and wider at the rear). My current tyres have efficiency rating 'E', and I've narrowed the choice down to some non runflat Hankooks with rating 'C'.

The hankooks are £300 cheaper for the set, I imagine they're lighter, should be more efficient and will apparently improve my ride quality! Only catch I can see is the spare wheel I'll have to lug around?

Meggark

Re: Run flat tyres

Postby Meggark » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:21 pm

You could carry some of that temporary can of stuff that some cars have instead of a wheel, like the fiesta comes with.

I have some hankooks on my i30. Roll well but noisy as hell - hoping a change might sort that out.

Sent from my HTC One X

frv

Postby frv » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:04 pm

I would seriously consider getting rid of the run-flats. The Hancooks should be fine, see here: http://whichtyres.com/2012/01/are-hanko ... -any-good/
I had them once on a car in 1994 and they were fine (from very deep memory ;) )
You want LRR, low rolling resistance. I've got Michelin Energy Savers on front of my FR-V and got Conti Eco Contacts for Jazz S. Makes rolling in N so much easier!
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

MikeMarsUK

Postby MikeMarsUK » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:57 pm

Has anybody tried the 'new label' Michelin Energy Saver Plus tyres? The previous-model Energy Savers are a favourite of mine, but my last tyre change was prior to the flood of new tyre designs as a result of the new labelling system.

I use a non-OEM tyre size on my A2 (OEM is 185/50R16 or 175/60R15, I use 175/65R15). This gives me slightly longer gearing (+ 2.7%), and also much cheaper tyres because it is a more common size (I should point out that I have modified-car insurance and my tyre size is declared to the insurer). It's also a lot more comfortable than my original 16s when at 45psi :D
Audi A2 1.4 TDI w/6-speed gearbox. Best tank 87mpg, average of all tanks 75mpg. Fuelly ID is MMUK.

frv

Postby frv » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:48 am

I haven't tried them yet Mike but I will soon be in the market for at least 4 tyres!:
1 possibly 2 rears for the FR-V
2 fronts for the Jazz Si and
1 for the Jazz S

Ouch :lol:
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

cycloneracer

Postby cycloneracer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:07 am

I would seriously consider getting rid of the run-flats. The Hancooks should be fine, see here: http://whichtyres.com/2012/01/are-hanko ... -any-good/
That does look promising, I didn't realise they were oem on so many cars now.

I did consider changing to some smaller wheels (mine are 18s) to give me more choice, and also on bmw's car builder website it now shows the better mpg/co2 for the smaller wheel size options. Don't think I will change wheels now, I like the way mine fill the arches.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:36 am

Before you ditch the run flats just have a dig about with regards to insurance. Maybe its a myth but I remember hearing a case where an insurer didn't pay out as a car had been "modified" with non RF tyres. You also have to take into consideration that the suspension and car geometry has been setup with these in mine.

On the flip side I'm actually with you. They are expensive and give a terrible ride.
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

cycloneracer

Postby cycloneracer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:04 am

Good point about the insurance, I'll do some investigation, they'll do anything to get out of paying up!

I've done a bit of research into run flats and the consensus appears to be as long as the tyres are high load, handling shouldn't be an issue. Originally when the car was new, there was an option to delete the run flats, I imagine it was setup with run flats in mind though.

MikeMarsUK, I've just noticed your 6 speed gearbox in the a2, I'm assuming that wasn't standard? My last car was a peugeot 206 gti hdi (1.6), that was desperate for a 6 speed box.

MikeMarsUK

Postby MikeMarsUK » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:39 pm

... but I remember hearing a case where an insurer didn't pay out as a car had been "modified" with non RF tyres. ...
It's happened a number of times. In some cases, people fitted winter tyres for safety reasons, and then the insurer refused to pay out (even although they were making the car safer). Also a lot of insurance companies will charge a £20/25 admin fee when you tell them, so you are trapped both ways.

FYI my modified-car insurance was cheaper than my renewal quote from my existing insurer, and it covers the replacement cost of the mods as well as the basic car. Not quite sure of the logic of that but I wasn't going to argue. I timed the fitting of the mods so they were just after my old insurance ran out (otherwise you will be trapped by your existing insurer).
On the flip side I'm actually with you. They are expensive and give a terrible ride.
John from the Honest John website is strongly in favour of run-flats, but that's because he was nearly killed changing a tyre on the motorway hard shoulder. So you can understand his viewpoint.
MikeMarsUK, I've just noticed your 6 speed gearbox in the a2, I'm assuming that wasn't standard? My last car was a peugeot 206 gti hdi (1.6), that was desperate for a 6 speed box.
Yeah. The standard is a 5-speed box. The way the box is designed is that the 5th gear is in it's own compartment at the end of the gearbox. I bought a kit, & had Vince fit it, which removed the existing 5th gear and end casing, and replaced it with a custom 5th and 6th gear and a bigger casing to house them. The gear selector & h-fork also were modified by the kit to allow the new gear to be selected. If you search 'audi a2 6-speed gearbox kit' on youtube you will find my video of it being fitted in my car (due to forum rules I am not allowed to post the link here). It is also worthwhile reading the description under the vid since I try to cover all the various alternatives.

Incidentally a couple of days ago someone on the A2 forum replaced their standard gearbox with a bluemotion gearbox (still 5 gears, but much more widely spaced), which is quite an interesting approach, and an awful lot cheaper.
Audi A2 1.4 TDI w/6-speed gearbox. Best tank 87mpg, average of all tanks 75mpg. Fuelly ID is MMUK.

cycloneracer

Postby cycloneracer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:47 pm

I'll have to give my insurance a ring, it's just frustrating to get the Indian call centre to understand what I'm on about!

Your A2 sounds like an interesting project, they always were well ahead of their time, it's strange that they didn't really catch on. I wouldn't be surprised if A2 values start to rise, as they become more rare. Forgetting the economy benefits, it must be a more relaxed motorway cruiser now. When I got my car, I wanted something with a long final gear, I think mines about 1800 rpm at 70.