An afternoon with the BMW i3...

Karl
Site Admin

An afternoon with the BMW i3...

Postby Karl » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:02 pm

After taking a long shot and emailing BMW I was very surprised when they agreed to give me an i3 (range extender) for the afternoon.

I've had quite a bit of time with the Leaf but the i3 looks to be in a completely different league!

I'm going tomorrow to the local BMW dealership to have a nose about an pick up the keys. I'll be putting together a review shortly after.

Anyone else tried on yet?
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

frv

Re: An afternoon with the BMW i3...

Postby frv » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:24 pm

Nope, interested to know what you think to it and what the range is like for Hypermilers
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

IanLorenc

Postby IanLorenc » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:14 pm

No, not tried one yet, but I think it's very exciting...and I'm not really a fan of modern BMWs.
The car did cause a brief but lively discussion with my brother, about whether we'd have the electric model, or the range extender.
Long story short, he went for the range extender, while I favoured the electric.
Cheers.
Ian.

Guzzlin' them green volts.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:17 pm

Its an epic car. Putting together a road test as we speak but trust me. YOU NEED TO DRIVE ONE.

Its the first car thats really made me feel that electric power really could be the future.

Here's a pic from today
bmw-i3f.jpg
bmw-i3f.jpg (32.04 KiB) Viewed 15865 times
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

IanLorenc

Postby IanLorenc » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:24 pm

I'm not a fan of modern BMWs, but I think I could learn to like that.
Having driven it, would you say that it's more important, more relevant, more of a game-changer than the Leaf? Nissan have brought electric cars to the forefront, but many people still aren't sure enough to take the leap. Does the BMW (with the range-extender option, no doubt) have what it takes to sway people?

As for the looks, well I actually really like it. Manufacturers seem determined to make electric models look purposefully different (forthcoming Focus electric, aside), so why not just eschew 'kinda quirky', and just turn it up to eleven. Kudos to BMW, for their bravery in that department.

When my time with the Yaris Hybrid is up, I think I'll be ready to go electric. Maybe a Renault Zoe...I don't think my budget will stretch to the i3.
Cheers.
Ian.

Guzzlin' them green volts.