New Car Time - goodbye FR-V

frv

New Car Time - goodbye FR-V

Postby frv » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:15 am

I've been looking into a new car for a while and have considered PHEV's (like the Mitsubishi Outlander I test drove), regular hybrids like a Toyota Auris estate and non-hybrid petrol yet frugal cars.

After much research, this weekend I had a test drive in a manual and an auto Audi A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI SE 150 CoD and have ordered a new S Tronic version with start/stop. I've been looking for a second hand one for a while and couldn't get the spec I wanted for the right price so I used carwow.co.uk and drivethedeal.com to find out the best price on the internet and used that as bargaining tool! Managed to get £2,500 off list price plus a few extras so now waiting for May/June to collect it. They've even given me a higher Part-ex value than I was hoping for the FR-V.

I've gone back to petrol after 11 years of diesel ownership for a number of reasons - I'm only driving about 7,500 miles a year now, I wanted to steer clear of DPF's and the petrol version was cheaper (about £1400 less than equivalent diesel).

The one I've gone for has Cylinder on Demand technology. "Capable of making a near seamless switch between two cylinder and four cylinder operation in as little as 13 milliseconds, the advanced new petrol-powered models can cruise ultra-frugally, but also immediately draw on 150bhp when required, so despite their dramatic economy gains they remain very much on the pace."

Official combined fuel economy figure is 58.9mpg.

This will also be my first auto and although ultimately I may lose a bit of mpg compared to a manual in a hypermiler's hands I'm hoping it will make for a much easier drive in the traffic I encounter on my commute home and my left knee won't give me as much trouble :lol:.
On my test drive in the S Tronic when I lifted off the accelerator it automatically dropped out of gear into a cruise mode and a display showed it was running in 2-cylinder mode - nice!

It will look similar to this one I drove but my wheels are 16" not 17" as I wanted a more comfortable ride than the Sport and a quieter ride than the S-Line:
audi a3 sportback.jpg
audi a3 sportback.jpg (128.24 KiB) Viewed 20891 times
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

Karl
Site Admin

Re: New Car Time - goodbye FR-V

Postby Karl » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:54 am

Great choice there Gord - you'll be loving the autobox in no time at all.

Interesting to see that you've opted for the petrol, there seems to be another huge swing back as DPF issues, price and increasing MPG figures prop them up.

Look forward to hearing what it can achieve!
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

frv

Postby frv » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:33 pm

Cheers Karl :D

It's amazing, there was even a road side sign in Sheffield this morning saying: "Drive petrol not diesel".

I can't see me beating the NEDC in the Audi like I do in the FR-V as it has stop/start, coasting mode on lift-off accelerator, etc. so a lot of what I do manually is built into the manufacturer's figures but I'll be happy with 50+ mpg.

If I reach the combined figure of 58.9mpg I'll be very happy :)

For a lot of people diesel will still be the right choice as long as they "do the miles" and have some decent long runs.

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:18 pm

It'll certainly make for an interesting read. The headline MPG figures are often unobtainable but I'm sure you'll give it a go. Loon forward to seeing how you work round all the fuel saving tech.

I was looking to change the C for something a bit bigger and really struggled to find anything bigger by BMW, Audi or Volvo with a petrol engine that didn't do 60 in 4 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:42 pm

Next door to the grandweans is the VW Golf Estate version of the 1.4 2/4 cylinder A3 in red. Very nice looking car. The man who drives it claims around 40 mpg but that is mainly driving into and out of Edinburgh including the bypass mobile car park between 8 and 9 and 5 and 6. If it can manage 40 mpg in those conditions the upper 50s should be a doddle for you. He and his wife are keen cyclists and both bikes can fit in the car with the back seats down.

I'll have to do some investigating if he's around this weekend and might even cadge a wee hurl in it.
Kia Ceed 1.6 crdi isg Retired undefeated on 25,720 miles and 62.91 mpg overall

Now driving my second Sportage.

Warning. May contain a nut.

frv

Postby frv » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:44 am

That sounds interesting! Just had a look and it's a bit bigger and heavier than the A3 Sportback so combined figure is 2.4mpg lower (-4%) at 56.5 for the auto (DSG) and even lower for the manual at 53.3 (-10.5%) and car tax is £30 for auto and £110 for manual instead of £20 in the A3.
I'm hoping I can get my bike in the back without taking the front wheel off, I can do it in the FR-V but it's a bit wider.
Do you know which gearbox he's got TE?

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:09 pm

All I know is that it is the VW version of the one you are getting. Last weekend I noticed him putting the bikes in the car but he took the front wheels off (quick release). He also has a net stretched over the bikes to keep them secure. If I am down there this weekend and he's about I'll be nosey.
Kia Ceed 1.6 crdi isg Retired undefeated on 25,720 miles and 62.91 mpg overall

Now driving my second Sportage.

Warning. May contain a nut.

IanLorenc

Postby IanLorenc » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:25 pm

The one I've gone for has Cylinder on Demand technology. "Capable of making a near seamless switch between two cylinder and four cylinder operation in as little as 13 milliseconds, the advanced new petrol-powered models can cruise ultra-frugally
Now, you know I'm very interested in things like that!
8-)
Cheers.
Ian.

Guzzlin' them green volts.

Smithsk71

Postby Smithsk71 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:43 pm

That's a great choice Gordon, if I was going to change our Touran that's the sort of thing I'd look for. I really like the Golf but to get the CoD engine you have to go up the spec to a GT with 17" wheels and lose the comfort, whereas Audi have it on the SE which is plenty enough on the trim front.

Will be very interested to read your review.
2008 Touran 1.9 SE - best tank 752 miles
2000 Golf GTI - best tank 475.9 miles
Retired - 2013 Clio dCi 88 - 32 fill-ups (27,631 miles) @ 68.6mpg average

frv

Postby frv » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:41 pm

Thanks guys, just waiting for a firm delivery date.....