To fix or not to fix...

Fallguy

To fix or not to fix...

Postby Fallguy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:19 pm

... that is the question.

The gearbox is starting to go on my 99 registration Renault Clio 1.4 16v. The symptoms are a whining/grinding noise when I lift off the accelerator or when I hold the accelerator on very gently or when I leave the car to coast in neutral. My mechanic said it is a bearing in the gearbox that kicks in during overrun, and to fix it will be a gearbox out job (i.e. Expensive). The car can be driven and isn't dangerous but the noise will get gradually worse and it will eventually be impossible to drive.

Given my mechanic guestimated around £900 to do the gearbox (and replace the clutch whilst there), I am wondering whether it is worth fixing? The Clio has 93,000 on the clock but has a full service history.

What do you all reckon?

Karl
Site Admin

Re: To fix or not to fix...

Postby Karl » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:40 pm

hmm... thats a tough one. Depends really what the car is worth.

I would be tempted to sell now before it gets any worse and put some more cash in to get another car.
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

Fallguy

Postby Fallguy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:10 pm

Unfortunately it has been going wrong for the last 4 months, and now is sufficiently noticeable I doubt I could sell it. Possibly I could get £500 in part exchange but then I would have to go to a dealer and I don't really have that kind of cash right now.

I plan to keep using it as long as it goes, and then make my mind up, but I thought I'd ask what others would do.

Looking at Autotrader a simalar car was asking £800 to £1000 without the FSH, bearing in mind the car has 4 good tyres, new brakes all round, and working air con (which is rarely used, but useful on occasions) it might fetch £1000 private sale if fixed.

IanLorenc

Postby IanLorenc » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:27 pm

That £900 - is that quoting on a salvage, reconditioned or new gearbox going in?
Cheers.
Ian.

Guzzlin' them green volts.

Fallguy

Postby Fallguy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:39 pm

Ian,
Not sure on that but the impression I got was that the existing gearbox would be reconditioned.

£900 seems alot to spend on a car with that mileage on, I have bought cars for less than that in the past.

jaredhall

Postby jaredhall » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:38 am

Ian,
Not sure on that but the impression I got was that the existing gearbox would be reconditioned.

£900 seems alot to spend on a car with that mileage on, I have bought cars for less than that in the past.
I am not an expert about this but I think that would be too much for the problem that you have in your car. To save a lot of money you can spy on the auto repair shops in your area and then you can do is to do the repair on your own.
Believe with all of your heart that you will do what you were made to do.

A4 folders

greenman

Postby greenman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:27 pm

Was this car fixed or not? Just wondering after 2 years!
Skoda Fabia Estate SE 1.2 TSi 110 PS