New Member Peugeot 106 1.5d

nobbycameron

New Member Peugeot 106 1.5d

Postby nobbycameron » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:54 am

Hello, i recently sold my fuel guzzleing octavia vRs and bought a 106 1.5 d for a bit of budget motoring.

I have a few questions that you guys will hopefully be able to answer,
Here is a list of my plans...

1. Change front wheels to 14 inch and narrower tyres 135's, to drop engine revs on motorway and have less rolling resistance.
2. Change rear tyres to 135, maybe 14's or stick with 13's.
3. Remove egr valve
4. Get a spacesaver and put it in the boot.
5. Cover over rear arches.
6. Maybe lower the car but not sure i can be bothered to mess about with the torsion bar.
7. Change oil to thinner oil next oil change.

Since a recent service I'm getting over 70mpg at the moment, i coast everywhere! Minal breraking, behind lorries on motorway etc!

I've got a bit of used veg oil in my tank now but i don't think i will be continueing with this as it stinks and takes a fair bit of preparation before it can be used.

Has anyone done any of the above mods? Any suggestions for other mods?

Thanks,
Rob

frv

Re: New Member Peugeot 106 1.5d

Postby frv » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. I haven't got any answers for you yet but I or Karl will get back to you.
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

frv

Postby frv » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:07 am

Hello, i recently sold my fuel guzzleing octavia vRs and bought a 106 1.5 d for a bit of budget motoring.

I have a few questions that you guys will hopefully be able to answer,
Here is a list of my plans...

1. Change front wheels to 14 inch and narrower tyres 135's, to drop engine revs on motorway and have less rolling resistance.
2. Change rear tyres to 135, maybe 14's or stick with 13's.
3. Remove egr valve
4. Get a spacesaver and put it in the boot.
5. Cover over rear arches.
6. Maybe lower the car but not sure i can be bothered to mess about with the torsion bar.
7. Change oil to thinner oil next oil change.

Since a recent service I'm getting over 70mpg at the moment, i coast everywhere! Minal breraking, behind lorries on motorway etc!

I've got a bit of used veg oil in my tank now but i don't think i will be continueing with this as it stinks and takes a fair bit of preparation before it can be used.

Has anyone done any of the above mods? Any suggestions for other mods?

Thanks,
Rob
Hi Rob - I've copied this answer from elsewhere on the forum and edited it a bit.
I haven't tried different tyre sizes, but Michelin Energy Savers plus WAY higher PSI will make a big difference (see below). I run our Honda Jazz at 45PSI.
Covering the rear arches will help - it's a bit like the look on the first Honda Insight!
Space saver - anything that will lose weight will help - if it's a lot lighter go for it - I've never had to change a wheel at the side of the road in 25+ years driving. It'll get you back home/garage whatever so you can get any puncture sorted.
My engine isn't suitable for veg oil unfortunately.
Thinner oil could help - I use the strongly recommended viscosity for my car - 0W30 B4. Pretty thin and some engine damage can occur if 0W40 is used - I buy Castrol Edge for topping up.
If you simply remove the EGR system from the car, but do not disable it in the vehicles ECU, I've heard you can run into some problems like poor running, error codes flagging up, higher emissions? (NOT test) - need to investigate more!

70+ mpg is a great start.
Ask any questions you want on techniques, etc. and we'll try to answer them.
I've got tyres pumped up to 55psi - sidewall max is 51 ;)

I use a grill block in winter 1/4 - 3/4's blocked depending on temps. Have to watch coolant temp so I don't overcook it. No grill block in summer. You get more of an mpg advantage from faster engine warm up times than aero improvements.

Oil can definitely make a difference as can a remap (I've been tempted but don't really do enough miles to warrant the cost)

Can you lose any more weight from the car?

A gauge can help trremendously - I have an Ultra-Gauge which has helped me to new mpg heights. Have a look here:
http://www.hypermiler.co.uk/forum/viewt ... f=17&t=503

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:17 pm

Hi Rob

Seems that you are pretty much spot on with what you want to do. If you are happy to start taking it apart I would also consider starting by removing the carpet and replace the windows with perspex. It weighs a fraction of glass and you can also get it tinted - great for keeping cool in the summer.

You can really go to town with the weight saving, I did this to an Xr2 and got it under 670Kgs. It was a hoot to drive and the MPG was stunning for a Warm hatch still running on carbs. I even took the dash out and held the clocks in with cable ties.

I would go with the weight saving before spending too much on it.
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

nobbycameron

Postby nobbycameron » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi guys, thanks for your replies,

Just a quick update,
I have found a pair of 14 inch wheels from a saxo which should fit fine. So the next task was to find some 14 inch skinny tyres, which is not as easy at it seems, the only ones i can find are 145/80/14 from a morris minor. No other cars seem to have this sort of size. I'm not sure whether it's worth spending the money on the tyres or not because i'm not sure how they compare with a good set of eco tyres on my current 13's, i will investigate further.

With regard to the egr, my engine is pre ecu so no worries with fault codes etc. the egr valve is vaccuum operated, i need to find out whether the vaccum holds the valve open or close, from this i will either give it a constant vacuum or no vaccum to keep it closed.

I'm not going to bother with used veg oil again, it bloody stinks!!!!

I'm a bit reluctant to start chucking too many things away for weight saving, i think i would prefer it to be a bit quiter and more comftable than gaining the few extra mpg.

My latest plan is to get an underbody tray from a more modern car and modify it to fit under my engine to hopefully improve aerodynamics.

i will keep you updated with progress and latest mpg figures.

Cheers
Rob

frv

Postby frv » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:17 am

Cheers Rob - I'd probably just stick with some decent LRR tyres and pump 'em up :)

I knew a chap who used to run an old Merc on veg oil - he got his from an Indian restaurant and when he drove past it smelt like vindaloo :lol:

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:10 am

lol - I used to run my Cavalier 1.7 TD (Izusu engine) on VO for about a year. It was only £2.50 for 3 litres at that point and it saved me a fortune. I used to get funny looks when filling my trolley at Tesco.

I brought an inline fuel heater to help me in the winter but it still left it a bit sluggish.
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

ssaaaabb

Postby ssaaaabb » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:56 am

I dont come here very often, but wish you lukc with great mpg in your pug ;)

I too have a 106, when I got it, it took forever to start. I put new glow plugs in to no improvement and eventually googled hours and hundreds of different questions to realise I had a common problem! My fuel filter housing was cracked letting in big air bubbles visible from the fuel line before the pump.

I bought a merc 190 2.5D inline fuel filter! 54 pence from eurocarparts, and a metre of fuel hose and diverted the fuel filter and its housing all together, so now I have No bubbles in the line, the little plastic inline filter does a fab job, and it has not cracked or caved in under pressure as some people suggested it would. coming from a merc 2.5d, im sure it would meet much higher suction on that car was my logic.

I have the 1.5 NAD Diesel TUD5 , and gifted with a robust BOSCH pump! I have run 100% sunflower oil ( smells sweet unlike vegtable oil ) and you can see all the hungry faces in rear view mirror as your going along, smells like doughnuts btw!

MPG has not dropped, been recording an average of 70mpg, around town its probably in the high 50's and on motorways sticking to 55mph I estimate around 80mpg, tyres infalted to 45 psi, get to speed fast using 2 3rd's throttle and coast as far as possible.

There is No engine fuel shut-off with engine braking on this car, no point in slowing down that way as it always injects minimum fuel to idle even if using engine breaking.

There is no ECU either, so blanking off egr should not trigger any faults or lights ( there is no such light! ) removing the CAT is also a nice little mod on this car.

Love the simplicity! with winter drawing close ill have to start mixing the sunflower oil with diesel 50/50 will be best when minus temps arrive. for now though it starts on the first turn! runs like a dream and smells like seaside doughnuts. wouldnt swap it for anything.
Peugeot 106 1527cc DIESEL . Working on an average mpg (just got the car) But working towards 80mpg, with some modifications. (Running engine on 85% diesel 15% Sunflower oil) (6p per mile)

frv

Postby frv » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:37 am

Welcome back Brinn and thanks for the update!
Had to laugh at the doughnut smell :lol:
Great solution for the fuel filter :D
Keep up the good work, you're doing way better than the Saab you used to have....

ssaaaabb

Postby ssaaaabb » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:44 pm

Thanks FRV :D

I could not continue with the saab, it was a petrol guzzling monster! my hypermiling attempts where close to pointless, although on a very long journey I managed once 50.1 mpg! with monumental concentration efforts, over inflated tyres with a combination of slip streaming and going a bit under 50mph on motorways. since doing that, I was unable to beat 44mpg on any trip less then 100 miles.

In the end the saab 2.0 petrol turbo just wasnt upto the job! without hypermiling and normal driving it was quite usual to see 24mpg on the onboard computer :shock: . So enough became enough, Concentration levels exceeded my stress threshold! and the hypermiling the saab became a real chore, instead of enjoyable.

For the same effort and attention hypermiling the peugeot 106 1.5D I can get 80mpg! so it pays off properly. even under normal driving conditions when im not trying to hypermile, 55mpg is as low as it goes, which still beats the saab when im trying my best. the extra 30+mpg is somthing worth concentrating for ;)

I considered many cars before the 106, such as a matiz, an alto, sceicento, or even a 106 954cc. Preferably I would have had the citroen AX 1.5d, but actually they are like hens teeth atm and they never came with bosch pumps so wouldnt have been able to shove 5 litre sunflower oil bottles in the tank. the 1360cc diesel 106 and AX where options too, despite being aluminium engines and known for head gaskets going, I heard theres a fix for the overheating, Drilling a few holes in the thermostat allowing for constant flow of coolant. Im a bit sad I couldnt find one, But they never came with bosch pumps either, So maybe I have the pick of the bunch of frenchies afterall :D

If I ever run out of fuel, I consider little shops to be my make do petrol station, Just buy a few litres of veg oil and off I go again! Not that I think it will ever happen though.

Good to be back here , might stay around for a while :D
Peugeot 106 1527cc DIESEL . Working on an average mpg (just got the car) But working towards 80mpg, with some modifications. (Running engine on 85% diesel 15% Sunflower oil) (6p per mile)