New Member Peugeot 106 1.5d

frv

Re: New Member Peugeot 106 1.5d

Postby frv » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Good to be back here , might stay around for a while :D
No problem - the more the merrier :D
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

ssaaaabb

Postby ssaaaabb » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:01 pm

wow 815 miles to a tank! Thats pretty incredible! my target is 600 miles :oops: .

Since I cant use a scangauge in my 106 ( apparently they only show a few stats and mpg is not one of them ) The tank is my best calculator! which means filling it right up! 45 pounds, for 45 litre tank using new sunflower oil. and better hope it doent get too cold or the car might not start as the oil is thicker then diesel. I heard vegtable oil is 17 times thicker then diesel! and I heard sunflower oil is slightly less thick, maybe 15 times thicker instead of 17 but thats a guess.

I bought an extra meters worth of fuel line, so I can exeriment with 1 litre bottles of veg oil vs sunflower! Im going to feed the fuel line inside the cabin and dip the end into the bottle, seal it and see how far 1 litre of oil gets me! and seeing if there is any difference with different mixtures such as 90/10 veg oil/petrol vs 100% veg. Might be interested to see if BP ultimate derv shows any difference with regular diesel too! Testing on a smaller scale so accuracy might be off slightly but any major differences should be apparent.

Only problem might be the safety of running diesel from the cockpit ! I wont feel threatened by the veg oil though!
Peugeot 106 1527cc DIESEL . Working on an average mpg (just got the car) But working towards 80mpg, with some modifications. (Running engine on 85% diesel 15% Sunflower oil) (6p per mile)

frv

Postby frv » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:42 pm

Yeah, I was really pleased to break 800!

Interesting experiment with the oil. You should be ok with diesel in the cabin as long as it's well sealed. Be different with petrol :o - probably not legal though so don't get stopped ;)
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

ssaaaabb

Postby ssaaaabb » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:59 pm

800 miles is worthy of a trophy! ;) Good job!

Good point re, petrol! I shant be using unleaded afterall inside the car. but might use a couple of different mixes ( diesel and veg only ) come winter to see how it starts, If it starts! I want to run as much veg oil as I can, iits 40p a litre cheaper atm, thats without going down the 'used' wvo road! which one day I might chance! Not without my own form of filteration first though. 1 micron is best, but that takes time, Overnight basically. At least being just oil, its not really dangerous and no fumes to worry about only smells. I like curry myself and im tempted to approach my local curry house for their used oil :D The smell of vindaloo everytime I drive will make me hungry!

So, might expermiemt with different concentrations of diesel. I have heard, and read online on countless net pages, Even on a modern diesel, you can use NEW veg/sunflower oil upto the percent of 20% with diesel. wether you have a HDI PDI TDI or whatever, Let the mixture 'mix' in a jerry can in your boot, as you drive the vibrations makes it mix well, then it can be used for fuel. Manufacturers state what amount of bio-fuel can be used in your car, I know for peugeot its reccomended not to exceed 27%. and as a lot of garages now add 7% of biofuel to their diesel fuel ( somtimes says on the pupm nozzle- definately at morrisons supermarkets at least) so you still have the extra 20% to play with if you dare!. Bio fuel can be used without worry in 'most' cars . You have a margin for error if you see what I mean for diesel cars only. sorry to bombard with stats and figures etc. Its good to know, that if you wish to add 20% of veg oil/sunflower/rape, you apparently can ( biofuel is afterall a mixture of veg and additives) but imo its risky. I did for some time on a lucas pump ( use new veg oil and it was actually fine ) . proceed with caution and let the mixture mix well. personally I would not try it on an expensive new car, Maybe a 1.4 hdi peugeot 206, but then your at manufacturers maximum and you run the risk. MPG is supposed to suffer with veg oil, But in my experience, I have not lost any mpg using sunflower oil. Its there to try if you want to, If you pourinto the tank, it mixes as you drive ! a risk worthy of reaserch for anyone who dares try it.
Peugeot 106 1527cc DIESEL . Working on an average mpg (just got the car) But working towards 80mpg, with some modifications. (Running engine on 85% diesel 15% Sunflower oil) (6p per mile)

ishtmail

Postby ishtmail » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:35 pm

ssaaaabb, remember that your car only takes 45 liters of fuel. Don't look at how many miles people can get from their cars, look at the mpg information, which should give you a better idea of each car's capabilities.

Still, I'm a bit perplexed that you can only pull less that 600 miles with one tank of fuel. With a car that small, and a diesel on top of that, you should be able to drive 700+ miles. But with an older diesel engine, no fuel cut-off, it's maybe understandable.

Maybe you should try driving with engine-off coasting (turn off the engine then switch back to contact so your wheel doesn't lock). This is proving to be the best tactic I have for getting the best mileage out of my car (I'm currently working on breaking the 1000 mile barrier with one tank - 55 liters).
Do test it out first so you don't crash doing something your car can't actually do. I've already discovered that with engine-off coasting, my Octavia gets all stiff with the steering wheel, and while I can steer (the wheel doesn't lock), it's damn hard to steer effectively. So I only use engine-off on long straight stretches of the road where there are no sharp turns.
Basically, safety first :)

Good luck and keep us posted!
Škoda Octavia Combi 1.9 TDI 90HP, 2004

Best trip: 100,89 mpg (2,8l / 100 km) / 6,8 miles
Best tank: 83,55 mpg (3,38l / 100km) / 990,1 miles
Longest tank: 82,06 mpg (3,44l / 100km) / 1001,4 miles
Average: 72,73 mpg (3,88l / 100km) after 16.452 miles

ssaaaabb

Postby ssaaaabb » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:45 pm

ok :D Good points, and suggestions.

Ive not tried coasting with engine off, Ill be sure to give it a few goes and see if its somthing I can get comfortable with. unfortunately my 106 does have power steering ( good for lady drivers but i have the muscle so dont need it) and its just and extra belt driven burdon on mpg.

brakes are pretty spongy at the best of times, without power breaks I would feel very unsure of coasting engine off, but in some previous cars I have noticed that engine off coasting still supplies enough power for 1 good use of the breaks if needed before the brake pedal becomes very stiff and in-effective.

I will experiment on a safe stretch of road without other road users anywhere near me! yep safety first ;)

and 600 miles from 45 litres ( bearing in mind I dont want to drive right into empty! ) I think is reasonable for my first effort. 700 miles would be my next step, and hopefully beyond! But i dont want to up the anti and put too much pressure on myself just yet but I think you have a very good idea of a realistic real world figures with some proper hypermiling.

Im doing well atm, im already at 147 miles and not even used a quarter tank! looks very promising, 2mm before the quarter mark and hoping to squeeze another 20 odd miles from that.
and Its probably best not to comapre as you say tank miles, when my tank is 15 litres short of what most cars have, I heard the audi A2 has a very s,mall tank though!!!

ishtmail

Postby ishtmail » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:55 am

Yes breaks at engine-off, forgot about that little issue. My car does have that 'feature' as well: only one full braking attempt allowed at engine-off, before the break pedal gets too stiff.

It's good to know your car real well before using techniques like engine-off coasting on a regular basis, so you don't get nasty surprises while driving, and you need to be 100% confident and comfortable, and also you need to be able to react quickly and calmly.
Škoda Octavia Combi 1.9 TDI 90HP, 2004

Best trip: 100,89 mpg (2,8l / 100 km) / 6,8 miles
Best tank: 83,55 mpg (3,38l / 100km) / 990,1 miles
Longest tank: 82,06 mpg (3,44l / 100km) / 1001,4 miles
Average: 72,73 mpg (3,88l / 100km) after 16.452 miles

dancingbear84

Postby dancingbear84 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:04 pm

I had a 106 once. I got around 58mpg but the terrain around here is not really that conducive to economic driving. I was aiming for 600 miles to a tank but I never quite made it. The engines on those things go on and on, shame about the rest of them though...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
1998 Peugeot 106 1.5d zest 3
MPG Claimed (on autotrader): 53