More DPF woes and your thoughts...

Karl
Site Admin

More DPF woes and your thoughts...

Postby Karl » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:29 am

So the DPF and EML has come on again on the Qashqai :(

Within the space of 20 miles it went from the DPF needing a its regen cycle to needing a deal for a forced regen in the space of less than 20 miles. As you would expect, I'm rather upset about it.

I have a few options and I'd like to hear your thoughts about it.

1. Take it back to the dealers. They have quoted £376 inc VAT for a full service and regen.
2. Get a full DPF delete, engine remap, service and have it hollowed out at the same time £600

I'm in two minds on what to do. I've pretty much had it with the car now and I'm tempted to give up on it all together and buy some thing German like a 530d.

I'm not keen to take it back to Nissan but thats probably the best option if I were to get rid of the car as it will need a service before it goes.

Whats your thoughts on the matter?
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

frv

Re: More DPF woes and your thoughts...

Postby frv » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:28 am

Ouch :o

The DPF in the QQ is obviously not suited to your driving Karl. Would a Beemer DPF be any better, I'm not sure - check this out: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... 33983&nmt=

I thought this quote summed it up!

"Modern diesels with DPF's don't just need a "cruise" at 70 mph on a motorway to clean out the DPF, they really need an Italian tune up on a regular basis to do the job, plenty of revs through the gears to get the engine hot and to force the re-gen to operate.

Cruising down the motorway at 70mph will bring the car up to temperature but it's too slow to get the Re-gen to operate correctly. At 70mph in 6th you're not pulling any revs.

Every now and again, modern diesels need to be raced along (within the speed limits naturally!), to clean the exhaust system out fully.

This is why modern diesels are not suited to round town driving anymore, they never get hot enough for the re-gen to work and then clog up
."

and this one made me laugh:

"This. I took my 335d to 130k without ever seeing the light, sold it to a mate who let his missus drive it around town, DPF light came on within a week. You can hear a regen happening, about 120 leptons for 10 minutes cleans them out a treat."

Options:

Sell the QQ and get a:

1) Petrol
2) older non-DPF diesel (like mine and Mike's)
3) Hybrid
4) Bike

or

5) Keep the QQ and rev it's balls off every so often ;)

How many miles a year are you doing?

Although some owners drive a car with a DPF fitted without any problems other than a normal regen (TE springs to mind), it's putting me off having a diesel for my next car as I don't do that many miles (maybe 7.5k) and my driving style probably wouldn't suit a DPF either. I'm sticking with my Honda for the time being, it's done under 60k, does over 60mpg, faultless reliability, practical, etc.
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

frv

Postby frv » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:36 am

Oh and this:

New rules for MOT to test for diesel particulate filter http://www.hypermiler.co.uk/forum/viewt ... ?f=3&t=993

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:13 pm

I did see that - they actually cut the unit open, gut and re-weld the unit. I wouldn't fail the MOT as such but I'm still worried with regards to insurance as they remap the ECU to help with the emissions.

I'm just on the phone with Nissan now and I'm booking it in for Monday. Going to look at an S-MAX EcoBoost 2.0 Petrol on Saturday at the local ford garage.

I think its the route to work thats not helping things here. It's all back roads and theres not a mile without me having to start / stop or pull over.

I would say you are on a winner Gord. Deep down I know that diesels are the best for me but being a Hypermiler, I can't help myself for MPG figures!

Heres the SMAX http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

frv

Postby frv » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:12 pm

Looks good Karl but Auto? You're a young chap, come on get a stick, better for hypermiling ;)

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:05 pm

Autos.. I know. Its not the usual auto, its the powershift which is a double clutch jobbie. Its not quite as bad as the old model and you still have some control over which gear is selected.

Think I'm getting old... or lazy. Most likely both!

Any other car suggestions would be appreciated. Looking to spend £10k to £16k ish

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:23 pm

Still no trouble with the DPF on the Ceed and now near 12,000 miles. As to driving at speed its only odd times I exceed 60. I think it's down to engine design.

What about a pre-DPF Passat or Touran. Loads of room, very comfortable and the 1.9/2L diesels can achieve very high MPGs. Service intervals are long too.
Kia Ceed 1.6 crdi isg Retired undefeated on 25,720 miles and 62.91 mpg overall

Now driving my second Sportage.

Warning. May contain a nut.

MikeMarsUK

Postby MikeMarsUK » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:13 pm

If you ask on the A2OC forum, someone will find a nice 1.4TDI for you :-)
Audi A2 1.4 TDI w/6-speed gearbox. Best tank 87mpg, average of all tanks 75mpg. Fuelly ID is MMUK.

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:47 pm

Naw, naw naw. Get a decent sized car. Why be anti-social running about in a mechanised training shoe with passengers squeezed up in the back and no luggage space.
Kia Ceed 1.6 crdi isg Retired undefeated on 25,720 miles and 62.91 mpg overall

Now driving my second Sportage.

Warning. May contain a nut.

Smithsk71

Postby Smithsk71 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:50 am

I can vouch for the 1.9se TDI vw touran. Have had one 5 years from new. Non-dpf, 51,000 with no major issues. The only niggle we've had after the end of the warranty is a tiny leak from the rear screen washer pipe. When in use the drivers feet get a little spray but most ends up on the window. Too expensive on labour to fix though.

We've had the cambelt done so are in it for the long haul.

Ours has multi function steering wheel, parking sensors, tinted windows, front fogs and metallic paint as extras. It's a comfortable place to be :)

Took it on a short dad's taxi run yesterday and got it over 50mpg, will do some commutes in it soon.
2008 Touran 1.9 SE - best tank 752 miles
2000 Golf GTI - best tank 475.9 miles
Retired - 2013 Clio dCi 88 - 32 fill-ups (27,631 miles) @ 68.6mpg average