Why does it always rain on me?

IanLorenc

Why does it always rain on me?

Postby IanLorenc » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:11 pm

The first few weeks of hybrid ownership (late September to late October) seemed problem-free.
However, as we entered November, the weather changed and a problem became apparent:

C O N D E N S A T I O N

I'm not talking a light misting up of the interior, but rather a heavy, sodden moisture that was almost dripping off the windscreen.
Checking online, and the problems seems quite common with hybrids and some electric vehicles, that obviously don't have a conventional Otto cycle ICE (the Toyota HSD uses an Atkinson cycle ICE) to provide the heat to properly dry out the interior.

Having the air con on full blast, will eventually clear it. However, if you'd like heat to go with your air conditioning - and who doesn't when it's 3C out?! - then the petrol engine needs to run almost all the time, to generate that heat (see 54.1mpg in my Fuelly history). So, for the past few weeks, I've been freezing myself (and sometimes a disgruntled passenger!) with the air con on coldest setting, in an effort to see where I'm going.

In desperation, I'm trying out an in-car, re-usable 'moisture grabber', from Homebase (£5.99):
It's sitting on the dash, at the moment but obviously won't be while I'm driving.

I shall let you all know if this makes a difference. Of course, if you have any ideas or suggestions, don't be afraid to chime in!
Cheers.
Ian.

Guzzlin' them green volts.

frv

Re: Why does it always rain on me?

Postby frv » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:00 pm

My car also seems to most up more than normal. I use an old ice cream carton or an old Tupperware nearly filled with cat litter and a few holes in the top. I too put it on the dash but push it back nearer the windscreen.
The less I have to use the blower the better for FE.
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:28 pm

Get thee to an Army Surplus store. There you will find super sized sachets of silica gel. About 12x6x2 inches. I am told they are used when large items of equipment are being shipped overseas. We have about a dozen that keep underseat storage places dry in the caravan. When they get a touch damp dry them out on top of a radiator. At first we got them from a sergeant in the REME but when he retired he told us about army surplus.
Kia Ceed 1.6 crdi isg Retired undefeated on 25,720 miles and 62.91 mpg overall

Now driving my second Sportage.

Warning. May contain a nut.

MikeMarsUK

Postby MikeMarsUK » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:35 pm

One extra thing to look for is to see if there is any water getting into the cabin. For example, through the pollen filter, or alternatively if any of the rubber drains are blocked. I had a passat which leaked water through the pollen filter & it was very damaging.
Audi A2 1.4 TDI w/6-speed gearbox. Best tank 87mpg, average of all tanks 75mpg. Fuelly ID is MMUK.

EmmaKav

Postby EmmaKav » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:04 pm

We also have a noticeable condensation problem in the Yaris Hybrid, doesn't sound nearly as bad as that though (dense condensation but not water dripping off the screen). I have taken to using the aircon if it's wet out, even if it wasn't misted up on starting, this seems to keep the problem in check. It's a trade off - aircon eating fuel gently while I'm driving normally and using the petrol on an off anyway, or massive blasts of air+ aircon for 5 minutes when starting up which kicks the engine specifically to cope with that while I'm going nowhere.

I also use the internal circulation mode when starting up so that the heat kicks in quicker rather than trying to heat up all the outside air coming in. Not sure if it's a false economy to turn the heat down as warmer air will clear the condensation quicker. Important to remember to turn the internal circulation off though once it's cleared or all that moisture just hangs around in side the car rather than being expelled.

Problem seems similar to my old Civic sport (2004 version), that used to mist up loads and take ages to clear too.

IanLorenc

Postby IanLorenc » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:11 pm

Cutting to the chase, this 'moisture grabber' (just a chunky little silica bag) does seem to work.
It still gets misted up (quickly cleared), but the heavy condensation has gone. The bag has a little colour indicator on it, to let you know when you need to microwave it (seriously). I put it in on Sunday, and I dried it out just this afternoon.
We also have a noticeable condensation problem in the Yaris Hybrid, doesn't sound nearly as bad as that though (dense condensation but not water dripping off the screen).
The scale of my problem, might actually be comparable to yours...I may have been indulging in hyperbole, slightly. Only slightly.

It's a trade off - aircon eating fuel gently while I'm driving normally and using the petrol on an off anyway, or massive blasts of air+ aircon for 5 minutes when starting up which kicks the engine specifically to cope with that while I'm going nowhere.

I also use the internal circulation mode when starting up so that the heat kicks in quicker rather than trying to heat up all the outside air coming in. Not sure if it's a false economy to turn the heat down as warmer air will clear the condensation quicker. Important to remember to turn the internal circulation off though once it's cleared or all that moisture just hangs around in side the car rather than being expelled.
I used a/c on 'Lo', not on I/C mode, and wouldn't use the a/c on 'Hi' until the engine had been running for a short while.
Worth trying one of these 'moisture grabbers' though, see if it helps with the condensation problem, like it has done for me.
Cheers.
Ian.

Guzzlin' them green volts.