Hyundai Ioniq

frv

Hyundai Ioniq

Postby frv » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:38 pm

Saw one of these at a showroom this lunchtime (went to get my mum a touch-up paint for her i10).
Quite like the look of it, much better than a Prius and it doesn't have one of those stupid CVT boxes it's a proper dual clutch auto.

'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

Gerrycan

Re: Hyundai Ioniq

Postby Gerrycan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:12 am

Pure hybrids like this Ioniq version harvest the braking energy into a battery and that allows that to be utilised during driving giving better consumption. All highly commendable.
However, most hypermilers would drive in a manner that avoids braking and wasting energy so I would contend that it is a great technology for ordinary wasteful drivers but less so for drivers already getting good consumption from their vehicles.
I'd also add that the technology may well work well for you if you drive in a hilly environment, relevant for the Lake District but less so for Norfolk.

My experience with Korean petrol engines is that they are not particularly fuel efficient and this seems to be confirmed with most recent reviews I've read. Bear in mind that I'm talking about cars on the Australian market which may have different characteristics to those sold in the European market.

I guess my point is that you would have to be careful about your expectations on what the technology can deliver and like any vehicle purchase it would be beneficial if an extended test drive (or hire) can be arranged beforehand to avoid being pressured by the glamour of the showroom appeal.