My first hybrid

IanLorenc

Re: My first hybrid

Postby IanLorenc » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Working on the basis that the average MPG gauge seems to actually go trip-by-trip and not accumulative, I can conclude that I had a great drive home from work!

But then financial logic doesn't apply in car buying. What would a comparable petrol engined car have cost you and would you have bought one?
If I hadn't got this, I would have got an Ecoboost 125 powered Fiesta, in either Zetec-S or Titanium form...which would have cost pretty much around the same. There wasn't anything I was considering, that was cheaper.
I certainly didn't apply financial logic to this purchase, I just really wanted to try a hybrid for a while. That was my only logic, if it can so be called.

Would I have bought a Ceed if a VW dealer had upped the trade in by (say) £1,000? (Although even that would not have matched the Kia offer).
Tell me about it. I had to fight the dealer every step of the way, especially on p/x price.
Cheers.
Ian.

Guzzlin' them green volts.

IanLorenc

Postby IanLorenc » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:50 pm

I want to try and work out, why it doesn't seem to like the mornings:

There's absolutely no traffic at all. Yes, it's a little cooler...but not massively so; afternoons have been about 18 and the mornings about 12-14.
I think that my route - whilst seeming an equal number of uphills/downhills - may have an uphill bias on the way to work. Maybe that's where some of the difference lies.
Cheers.
Ian.

MikeMarsUK

Postby MikeMarsUK » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:40 pm

I almost invariably get better mpg on the way out to work compared to the way back. I think this is for two reasons -
1) I am driving into the prevailing wind on the way home from work, and driving into it on the way home
2) My home is at a higher altitude than work

Of the two, I think that the prevailing wind direction is the more important, but it is not much more than a guess.
Audi A2 1.4 TDI w/6-speed gearbox. Best tank 87mpg, average of all tanks 75mpg. Fuelly ID is MMUK.

frv

Postby frv » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:23 am

I also do better in a morning than the evening but that's down to traffic. At 06:30 it's no problem ;) My route starts and finishes at the same altitude - 220 feet.

Have you had a look at this great little tool Ian?

http://www.heywhatsthat.com/profiler.html

Here's my normal route to work taking in the motorway with my favourite coasts at about 11 miles for 0.7 of a mile and then at about 12.5 miles to the slip road off the motorway. There's a long climb up to a level area and then there's another great coast at about 18.5 miles at about 45mph down to the first set of lights of the traffic light section at 20miles. It's then a fight for the last 2.7 miles to stop it dropping too much!
Route to Work.jpg
Route to Work.jpg (32.79 KiB) Viewed 19342 times
Going home on what is now the normal route most of the time on detour #2, you can see the first 4 miles or so is similar (in reverse ;) ) but then we come of the dual carriageway (which is quite often queueing all the way to the motorway and join the stop/crawl traffic. There's a decent downhill at about 6 miles but I don't feel much benefit from it as it's so slow. We rejoin the normal route at about 11.5 miles which is where I normally pull the FE up quite a lot as the traffic is easier with some good opportunities for coasts. My favourite one is at about 14.5 miles where I can coast at 50 - 40 with a little 'blip' on a dip and carry on coasting at 50 for a total of about 2 miles :)
Detour no 2 home.jpg
Detour no 2 home.jpg (29.7 KiB) Viewed 19342 times
Have a go!
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

IanLorenc

Postby IanLorenc » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:29 pm

Good tool!
And I think we can see an uphill bias, on the way to work:

It doesn't seem like it, when driving though.
I suppose it makes sense though, because - thinking about it - the times I've biked to work, the quickest time going to work was 32:41 but the quickest time coming home was 25:05.
Cheers.
Ian.

EmmaKav

Postby EmmaKav » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:36 am

We've just got our Yaris Hybrid T4 (our first hybrid) and the mpg is not good at the moment (just getting 50 mpg now - got 62 mpg on the test drive I did at the dealer without much effort) - but it's only got 100 miles on the clock.

I see IanLorenc was getting about 60 mpg at 70 miles on the clock - could the cooler weather now make that much difference? (if so how bad is it going to be when it's 0C outside!) Do we just need to be patient? I'm inclined to think it's not (all) my driving style since the test drive got good figures - it could of course be the routes we're driving, but I'd still hope for 55+ mpg as a starting point to build on to improve my driving style.

Am I right in thinking that it takes a while to run the engine/batteries in to get "normal" mpg? - any idea how long that might be?

I'm also wondering, specifically with the Yaris Hybrid engine type- is it better to anticipate stopping (at lights etc) and brake less - or would I do better to use the brakes more (as in normal - not hypermiling style driving) to increase the regenerative energy back into the battery? If I understand it correctly, just slowing (without braking) does put energy into the battery, but does more go in when you actively put your foot on the brake pedal?

Would be interested to hear your views, thanks.

frv

Postby frv » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:59 am

Sorry I missed your post. I think ultimately braking less would be more beneficial as preserving momentum is great for FE.
Your mpg will definitely drop when it's colder - mine does - not sure how much you should expect in a hybrid.
Have you read this thread?: http://www.hypermiler.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 2&start=10 - some interesting ideas on there....
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

IanLorenc

Postby IanLorenc » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:14 pm

We've just got our Yaris Hybrid T4 (our first hybrid) and the mpg is not good at the moment (just getting 50 mpg now - got 62 mpg on the test drive I did at the dealer without much effort) - but it's only got 100 miles on the clock.

I see IanLorenc was getting about 60 mpg at 70 miles on the clock - could the cooler weather now make that much difference? (if so how bad is it going to be when it's 0C outside!) Do we just need to be patient? I'm inclined to think it's not (all) my driving style since the test drive got good figures - it could of course be the routes we're driving, but I'd still hope for 55+ mpg as a starting point to build on to improve my driving style.

Am I right in thinking that it takes a while to run the engine/batteries in to get "normal" mpg? - any idea how long that might be?

I'm also wondering, specifically with the Yaris Hybrid engine type- is it better to anticipate stopping (at lights etc) and brake less - or would I do better to use the brakes more (as in normal - not hypermiling style driving) to increase the regenerative energy back into the battery? If I understand it correctly, just slowing (without braking) does put energy into the battery, but does more go in when you actively put your foot on the brake pedal?

Would be interested to hear your views, thanks.
Sorry for the delay in reply, Emma, I've neglected the forums a little, lately...but I'm here now.
Right-o...

Firstly, have a look at my Fuelly profile, to see how I'm doing with my Yaris fill-ups:
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/ianlorenc/yaris-hybrid
The cooler temperatures do make a difference, as you can see by the few times I've dipped below 60mpg coinciding with them (though some of that was me using the AC to demist the windows...a lot).
Do you use Fuelly (or similar) to track your MPG? It gives you an idea of what other people are getting, in the real world:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/yaris%20hybrid/2013
http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/yaris%20hybrid/2012

What kind of MPG did you get in your previous car, and how did it compare to the official figures?

I don't think running it in makes that much difference, since my first fill-up at less than 200 miles on the clock, was 63.9mpg. Economy should improve slightly as the engine gains miles, but mine wasn't too bad, from the get-go. I do recall that the average MPG gauge in the car I test drove, said 52.8mpg...and that had about 9000 miles on it.
Did you test drive on the same kind of roads as you normally drive on?
Do you live in a particularly hilly area? What kind of routes are you driving?
Motorways or higher speed roads will kill the economy. I've stopped using the M69, since getting a hybrid.
I'm driving about a 60/40% split, of 30/40mph limit urban roads to 60mph limit country lanes - though I don't exceed 50 tops (screw the cars behind!), dropping to 40 if no one else around.

I don't really know what advice I can offer, I'm still kind of learning too...but I'll try;
You probably already have, but I have mine in the 'ECO Mode' - in fact, I've never taken it out of that mode. I don't see the point of not keeping a hybrid in 'ECO Mode'.
I don't bother with the 'EV Mode' button. Sufficient battery charge and gentle throttle pressure will keep it in EV, and anyway, apply a little too much throttle and it pops back out of 'EV Mode'.
From a standstill on 30/40 limit roads, I usually try accelerating quite briskly up to the limit - that is to say quickly, but still keeping the car's Power Indicator in the 'ECO' slice of the gauge, and out of the top 'PWR' slice. Once I'm at the 30 or 40 limit, I come off the throttle to shut off the petrol engine, then I apply it again softly, so the car maintains that 30 or 40mph by just using the batteries. My basic goal is to have the car running EV, for as much of the time as possible, in 30/40 limits.
I do concede though, that this only really works on flat roads or downhills (in fact, I can sometimes maintain 50mph using EV, on a downhill!). Uphill is much more difficult, so I usually purposely get a bit of a run-up, build momentum, get the petrol engine running on an uphill - getting some juice back in the batteries - rather than attempting the futile exercise of trying to keep in EV as long as possible.

Slowing down? Well, where I can (not always possible with traffic levels), I favour the gradual slow down. Yes, it does put less power back into the batteries, but I feel that maintaining momentum is preferable. Sometimes, you have no choice but to brake. Try to do it a little earlier than you would in a normal car, and keep the Charge Indicator in the middle of the 'CHG' slice of the gauge. Remember, if the Charge Indicator needle drops right to the bottom mark of the 'CHG' slice, you've bypassed the regenerative brakes. You'll be using the car's disc/pad brakes and putting no power back in.

Also, you may have noticed that the battery State of Charge indicator, never goes above or below two blocks at either end. I don't know if this was fully explained, but to help prolong the life of the battery, the car doesn't fully charge or fully drain the battery.

Rather worryingly - and pessimistically - What Car? list their test MPG of the Yaris Hybrid (T-Spirit model) as 47.7mpg:
http://www.whatcar.com/truempg/my-true-mpg#

My average is 60.2mpg, over 6 fill-ups. My best fill-up is 63.9mpg, and my best single journey is 72.1mpg.
Resetting the trip gauge when you fill-up, you should be able to manage at least 50 miles, before the fuel gauge dips under the full mark.

Apologies if I've underestimated your knowledge, and any of the above is a little patronising.
Cheers.
Ian.

IanLorenc

Postby IanLorenc » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:22 pm

got 62 mpg on the test drive I did at the dealer without much effort
I forgot to ask, the 62mpg average you got, did you reset the average mpg when you started the test drive?

Usually, you get an idea of how good or bad a tank will be, from how many miles you've covered as the fuel gauge travels.
Just under 170 miles, at just under 3/4...hopefully this fill-up won't be too bad:
Cheers.
Ian.

IanLorenc

Postby IanLorenc » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:25 pm

I finally got my new private plate, fitted to the car today.
Before/during:

After:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=D ... oto%2c.jpg
Cheers.
Ian.