US Hypermilers squeeze 1,626 miles from a tank in VW Passat

Karl
Site Admin

US Hypermilers squeeze 1,626 miles from a tank in VW Passat

Postby Karl » Wed May 09, 2012 12:14 pm

US Hypermilers John and Helen Taylor have yet again rocketed into the record books with another epic FE (fuel efficency) run. Equipped with nothing more than a stock 2012 Volkswagen Passat SE TDI Clean Diesel and one tank of fuel (or gas in the US) they managed an impressive 1,626 miles from the tank. In “American” that’s 84.1 miles per gallon or a whopping 101 MPG if you are from this side of the Atlantic.

The three-day drive road trip started on May 3, 2012 from Houston, TX onwards to Sterling, Virginia 2 days later. In order to recreate normal driving conditions, the Taylor’s only travelled during daylight hours and carried a respectable 120 (US) pounds of luggage.

“We’re excited to have broken the record for the longest distance driven on one-tank of fuel,” said John Taylor. “The Passat TDI was the perfect car for the trip. It offers plenty of interior and cargo space, yet is frugal enough to help us achieve this record.”

Their The previous record for the most miles covered on a single tank of diesel was 1526.6 miles, achieved with a VW Passat 1.6 BlueMotion diesel in Europe.

The Taylor’s have made a whole career out of hypermiling and conduct workshops globally on fuel-efficient driving techniques. To date they have collected more than 90 world fuel economy and vehicle-related records from drives around the globe.

http://www.hypermiler.co.uk/hypermiling ... passat-tdi
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

frv

Re: US Hypermilers squeeze 1,626 miles from a tank in VW Pas

Postby frv » Wed May 09, 2012 2:04 pm

1626 miles - that's epic! Not bad on just over 16 UK gallons :mrgreen:

I reckon I could just scrape 1000 out of mine if I didn't have the commute or passengers or luggage or traffic or hills, 28°C temps, no wind or rain and if I hadn't eaten for 3 days. Other than that, I reckon it's dead easy ;)
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 4+ year average 55.0mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.