Getting myself and the bike ready for a commute..

IanLorenc

Re: Getting myself and the bike ready for a commute..

Postby IanLorenc » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:33 pm

One of my Dyna-techs (still haven't got round to getting a snap of the other yet). Total old-skool, hardcore rigid:
Cheers.
Ian.

Guzzlin' them green volts.

IanLorenc

Postby IanLorenc » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:50 pm

Just nipped outside now and took pictures of the other. Sorry, the first is a little shaky! The race number is a throwback to my teenage years when I dabbled in racing:

Cheers.
Ian.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:56 pm

Check the old school brakes - classic!

I went into town on mine today to pay some money in and really enjoyed it. Save myself a few squid in furl as the centre was rammed.

Should really take it down to Rutland Water really but I dont have anybody local that enjoys riding too. Will get a snap of mine tomorrow.
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

billysan

Postby billysan » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:37 pm

Woah retro cool!!! I like the second one. Biopace chainset too, hmmmm!!

IanLorenc

Postby IanLorenc » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:07 pm

Thanks for the comments. The blue Diabolo DX, I built up myself from a frame I bought from a friend. He got it as a replacement, after snapping his, back in the day. He never used it though and it sat in the corner of his room for about 12 years! However, I've just lent it to my step-brother and he's broke it. :evil: Nothing too major but it does need a new crank now, possibly new bottom bracket too.

The yellow Diabolo DX Titanium came up on eBay a couple of years ago and I just had to have it! Full Deore DX groupset running through Deore XT thumbshifters, it's the mutt's nallocks! I remember back in 92/93, a friend of a friend had one brand new and I was uber-jealous. I was hooning around on a lowly Diamond Back Ascent at the time.
The blue one is supposed to be my commuter but I always find myself getting on the yellow one!...and that was before the blue one was O.O.A.

The race number was from 1996 and I found it, along with medals and trophies and stuff when I was cleaning out a few months ago. I couldn't resist sticking it on!

Check the old school brakes - classic!
Dia-Compe 986's, running through SS-7 levers! (or are they SS-5's? I'm not sure now)
Who needs discs?!?!

Should really take it down to Rutland Water really but I dont have anybody local that enjoys riding too. Will get a snap of mine tomorrow.
I used to ride a lot at Rutland Water, just a quick blat up the A47. Sometimes I'd go just with my best mate, sometimes we'd get a group of about six or so.
Cheers.
Ian.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:55 pm

Heres my Merlin, It could really do with a wash but I'm just lazy with it!

Only Vs on mine too - I cant see the point of discs on a XC bike.
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

IanLorenc

Postby IanLorenc » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:03 pm

Nice. What pedals are they? I used to be all about toeclips (wince!) back in the day, now it's pretty much flats or nothing.
If it's a really serious ride, I'll dig out the spuds and slap 'em on (if I can find the ruddy things).
I love Odyssey Triple Traps but I struggle to find places that sell 'em.

Only Vs on mine too - I cant see the point of discs on a XC bike.
My step-bro has one of those Halfords £139.99 specials with cable-op discs, the first go he had on my blue Dyna with "only" Vs, he almost put himself over the bars! Hydraulic discs are awesome...those cheapy cable operated ones are borderline dangerous. Give me well set up Vs or even just regular cantis any day.
Cheers.
Ian.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:35 pm

Amen there. My LX V's stop scarey quick - maybe thats to do with the pads and mavics.

Cheap bikes are dangerous - esp these nasty heavyweight full suspension bikes that are made to look like they are bomb proof but half of it is plastic. I remember seing one that looked sweet but had an SIS chainset and plastic pedals.

The pedals are DMR V8 iirc - the V12's were just too much £ for little benift. They are brilliant pedals - very solid although they do tend to bike your legs if you let slip on mud! A few stitches later fixes that though.

IanLorenc

Postby IanLorenc » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:35 pm

Cheap bikes are dangerous - esp these nasty heavyweight full suspension bikes that are made to look like they are bomb proof but half of it is plastic. I remember seing one that looked sweet but had an SIS chainset and plastic pedals.
Definitely. I think one of the bikes I've always hated most, is the Raleigh Activator II. It claimed to be full suspension yet offered very little travel and instead offered a lot of sideways flex. Hateful bike.

The pedals are DMR V8 iirc - the V12's were just too much £ for little benift. They are brilliant pedals - very solid although they do tend to bike your legs if you let slip on mud! A few stitches later fixes that though.
A good pedal is measured by the mark(s) on your shins!
Cheers.
Ian.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:27 pm

Now thats a blast from the past. I remember them most from the worst looking pair of handle bars every to grace a bike. They were nealy as bad as the dangrous front forks iirc they were just spring loaded!!