Getting myself and the bike ready for a commute..

IanLorenc

Re: Getting myself and the bike ready for a commute..

Postby IanLorenc » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:24 am

Gah! Get it away!

I remember the very first ones, didn't even have separate fork stanchions and crown. Just a unicrown pair of forks going into those fork legs, spring loaded as you observed.
:roll:
Cheers.
Ian.

Guzzlin' them green volts.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Mon May 11, 2009 3:46 pm

Now things are warming up I am looking to make my first bike in very shortly. It also helps that my work are currently extending our offices to include a shower meaning I wont have to stink for the day.
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

IanLorenc

Postby IanLorenc » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:26 pm

It also helps that my work are currently extending our offices to include a shower meaning I wont have to stink for the day.
VERY lucky. Wish we had showers at our place. I've cycled in before when I've done Sundays on my own and it only takes me about 35-40 minutes (8 miles).

I cycle to my Saturday dance class (weather permitting). That's 6.5 miles and I stopwatched that last time at 29:59.77 which I thought was good but I can do better.
Then I found that unfortunately, one of my locks (small combination one that secured the front wheel to the frame) had decided to change it's combination all by itself (not the first time it had!). I tried to crack it without success so I was in for a bit of a walk. Once home, an angle grinder was used to chop it off.
Cheers.
Ian.

IanLorenc

Postby IanLorenc » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:10 pm

Finally got some lights for the bike today.

If you're interested:
Front:
http://www.juliescycles.co.uk/index.php ... 06-jc.html
Rear:
http://www.juliescycles.co.uk/index.php ... 00-jc.html

This will hopefully mean more commutes on the bike, especially as the clocks go back soon. It has been a bit "iffy" (that'll be me, understating) up to now, on unlit country roads, relying solely on a high-vis vest and my night sight. Exciting though...in a weird way.

Just got mudguards to put on:
Cheers.
Ian.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Mon May 02, 2011 10:08 pm

Time to dig out this tread.

I've part biked in at least twice a week since the weather has changed for the better and I'm looking to "Hypermile" with my bike.

I've inflated my tyres to the max recommended pressure and raised my seat quite a bit. I'm now looking at getting some skinny tyres for it and turn it into a commuter bike. I even toyed with removing my front gear mech and cogs but for the small weight loss, I opted to leave them on.

I need to get advice from my local bike shop on the minimum tyre width I can get away with on my XC mavic rims, with a nice set of race tyres I am hoping that I can up my average speed by a couple of miles per hour and also look at biking the whole way on a regular basis.

Just need to find some Lycra shorts and the a skin tight yellow shirt. ;) ;)
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

frv

Postby frv » Tue May 03, 2011 7:13 am

How do you part-bike - are you getting a lift in from someone's house part way there?
No pictures of the outfit please, I've not long had breakfast :lol:
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Tue May 03, 2011 8:54 am

I drive to a Village about 5 miles from work and leave my car in a safe place. Its only about 11 miles to work so I'm halving my journey... or doubling my MPG ;)

Glad to have the Volvo as the bike fits easily into the back.

Was even toying with an E assist hub for it, although £600 is a bit steep if you ask me.

frv

Postby frv » Tue May 03, 2011 11:48 am

I like the idea - you must be getting about 80mpg equivalent!
£600 :o - muscle power - that's the way :mrgreen:
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

greenman

Postby greenman » Wed May 04, 2011 7:29 am

Looking at that bike you have very long legs!
Age and hernia operation are against me otherwise I would join you. :)
Skoda Fabia Estate SE 1.2 TSi 110 PS

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Thu May 05, 2011 11:02 pm

Went to the bike shop today and the advise that I can go down to a 1 inch tyre on the rims I have. Had a brief look on the bay and for just over £20 I can get both the tyres and tubes delivered.

Today's ride back was a little hard as the wind had whipped up a bit making the last leg a pain. Hated every last minute if it but once it was over and the bike was back in the boot, joy filled the air over another 10 miles saved.