The New Commute

DervMan

The New Commute

Postby DervMan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:28 pm

Currently, I enjoy a 26 to 29 mile driving commute each way, either a mix of sweeping A-roads and dual carriageway, or dual carriageway and motorway or if I'm feeling bored, B and C-classification back roads. :twisted: That's all going to change in the New Year (at some point and we don't know when) because my role is being restructured / repositioned / dislocated (whatever it's currently called) into the centre of Leeds. I have no current intention of driving from York to Leeds every day, thank you very much - at least not in a non-hybrid. :D

That means taking the bus or train. York to Leeds train connection is, and I don't mean to sound snobbish, kinda awful. 600 people squeezed onto a train with seating for 150. So we'll see how the stress levels are after being cramped up on a train for 25 through to 45 minutes, depending on the service I take.

On the other hand I am kinda looking forward to not having to go out and drive to work every day, instead I will decide to use the car, rather than feel compelled to use the car. So that's a good thing. I suspect Charlie will see this as an opportunity to use the car for those silly* two mile drives through York most of it sitting in traffic. I'm not sure what way the average fuel consumption will go, as I deliberately take an economical commute to and from the office...

*that means I'm a hypermiler, right, when I see she has driven 3.5 miles but averaged 22 to the gallon over the distance, where I know I'd be struggling to break over 30, but still be over 30! :lol:
Annika: 2004 Saab 9-3 1.8t @ 38.9 mpg / 111%
Data over: 524 days, 67 fills, 28,358 miles
09/11/2009: Winter is coming.

frv

Re: The New Commute

Postby frv » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:44 am

Good luck on the train DervMan. You know which way your fuel consumption is going to go - DOWN!
Anyway, it's great not having to drive - I haven't driven at all since I drove my OH's car on Sunday as I car share and it's not my turn :D . I'm really pleased how it worked out as the last full week before Xmas is a nightmare near Sheffield so it would definitely have hit my fuel consumption. My car has done 2 miles since I filled it up on Saturday - driving back from Tesco garage!! We've got a 100 mile run after Xmas for a holiday in North Yorkshire for a week and then 100 back so should get a good go at hypermiling and try and pick the average back up.
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

DervMan

Re: The New Commute

Postby DervMan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:53 pm

Okay cancel that. Having prepared ourselves for a couple of weeks they announce today that we are not moving after all...

Very frustrating too!
Annika: 2004 Saab 9-3 1.8t @ 38.9 mpg / 111%
Data over: 524 days, 67 fills, 28,358 miles
09/11/2009: Winter is coming.