The Big Bus Experiment

Karl
Site Admin

The Big Bus Experiment

Postby Karl » Wed May 04, 2011 9:37 am

Many moons ago the bus was my only option to get to college. Even without a car my trusty mega rider and me could travel all week within Peterborough for only £5.

Lately I’ve been thinking of opting for the bus in order to get to work and see how I fare. I know it won’t be an easy option but I am intrigued to see how who depend on buses for their daily commute cope.

As fuel prices soar maybe public transport is the option, however it must be able to work for every day life. Living in a “smallish” town in Lincolnshire is not likely to help my crusade but its worth a try.

In order to evaluate my journey I will be looking closely at how the taking the bus compares to my normal commute of 11 miles and 20 minutes in the Volvo. These are the factors:

Cost
Time
Comfort
Effort
Environment Impact

Time to dig out the time table… I’ll be back!!
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

IanLorenc

Re: The Big Bus Experiment

Postby IanLorenc » Wed May 11, 2011 6:58 am

Keep us posted on this Karl.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to sit here and try to remember the last time I actually went on a bus!
Cheers.
Ian.

Guzzlin' them green volts.

frv

Postby frv » Wed May 11, 2011 8:09 am

Hi Ian - long time no squeak ;)
The the last time we went on a bus was in Jersey on holiday last year where they are just brilliant - £1 or £1.50 anywhere and 50p for kids (just squat down and keep the shorts on and I'm sure you'll get by :lol: )
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Wed May 11, 2011 2:06 pm

haha - cheers guys

Was hoping to do this today but I've got a horrible cold and the weather has been not so great. Hopefully next week...
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

dancingbear84

Postby dancingbear84 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:36 pm

I went on a bus once, then I passed my test :) the last time I used the bus was when the motor was in the garage. In my defense though I live in the middle of nowhere, 2 miles to the nearest bus that then takes me to a town about 5 or 6 miles from where I work. At this point I could get a train to another town about 2 miles to work, walk, or stick on the bus another 6 miles out of my way then change to another bus that takes me to work. None of this is practical or cost effective. Rural living rocks guys!!
1998 Peugeot 106 1.5d zest 3
MPG Claimed (on autotrader): 53

Lae

Postby Lae » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:52 am

haha - cheers guys

Was hoping to do this today but I've got a horrible cold and the weather has been not so great. Hopefully next week...
Did you ever do this Karl? I'd be interested to know how you got on, it would also make an interesting article for your site.

My OH used to get the bus to work when we didn't have a car, and it cost about £16 for a weekly ticket to get him 5 miles to the town centre on a 40minute bus journey. He then had a 15 minute walk. The bus worked out a lot cheaper than fuel, insurance, maintaining a car etc but its difficult to put a price on having 30 minutes extra in bed in the morning and knowing that your car won't turn up late that day or drive past your stop without stopping as they are behind schedule!

He changed jobs so we moved out to the countryside 7 minutes walk from his work, very efficient! I think as fuel costs increase and whilst we are waiting for alternative energy sources to be developed people will eventually be forced to either move near work or find jobs nearer to home...although of course hypermilers will be able to hold out for longer than most! :mrgreen: