Sun at Last!! Out comes the bike again!

Karl
Site Admin

Re: Sun at Last!! Out comes the bike again!

Postby Karl » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:55 am

You are a brave man. I get enough of the cold from walking the dogs!

Can't wait till its shorts weather. The ride in for me is bloody lovely.
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

frv

Postby frv » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:28 am

I was back on the bike again yesterday, went to the allotment to put some potatoes in. It was a lovely morning, t-shirt and shorts :D
'15 Audi A3 Sportback SE CoD S-Tronic - 5+ year average 55+mpg

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:31 am

Was lovely day here too. Not quite biking weather but we had a walk round the woods with the Kids.

Its great to see them out side for the first time this year without freezing!
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi 2.0 TDI 184 DSG in Candy White - 50MPG and climbing

frv

Postby frv » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:12 am

I'm after a new bike. Birthday coming up next month and they never know what to buy me so everyone is chipping in :D .
Not sure what to get. My current mountain bike (which I bought second hand) has city slicker tyres which make a big difference on the road - much quieter and easier to make progress, and zoom forks the previous owner fitted however I find I have run out of gears. Unless I am going up a decent hill I can go everywhere pretty much in 19th to 21st gear - don't even use the lower or middle chainwheel (plus the fact the cable has rusted up :oops: ).
I don't go off road much so I probably need a road bike but I don't really want to be in a crouched position all the time, do I get aerobars? I have bar ends on my mountain bike - ideas guys.....

(Retired) '06 Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi - Best/longest tank: 67.92mpg (+51.6%) / 815.5 miles.

tighterse

Postby tighterse » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:57 am

The Edinburgh - Glasgow (Embra - Glesky if you're local) Sustrans cycle track runs alongside a loch I fish regularly. Absolutely hoaching with pedallers of all shapes and sizes particularly in this decent weather. We (the fishing club) have a lodge that is open to the public and it is often mobbed with cyclists stopping for a tea, coffee or soft drink. I've noticed that many of the more mature ones have electric bikes. I'm told that there is competition between the leccies (as they're called) to do city to city and back on one charge. About an 80 mile return and no-one has managed it without cheating yet. Spare batteries are frowned on.

On another note two or three of us fishers were sitting outside the lodge moaning about the summer weather when a pair of absolutely cracking cyclists stopped for a breather. We had the usual leer at them and one member remarked, 'if I thought pushing a bike wid gie ma wife an erse like that ah'd buy her wan the morra'.
Kia Ceed 1.6 crdi isg Retired undefeated on 25,720 miles and 62.91 mpg overall

Now driving my second Sportage.

Warning. May contain a nut.

frv

Postby frv » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:17 pm

:lol: Being a bit tight mesen, I've been looking on fleabay and can't find many racers near me. There a few mountain bikes though.
What's a Trek ZX 7000 M.Bike 27spd 21" frame Hardtail like? £87 with 2 days to go
or
Muddyfox Street 26" Mountain Bike 21 Shimano Gears, Front And Rear Disc? £50 and just over a day to go.

What size frame do I need to look for - I'm 6'1?

I've found one road bike nearby that looks pretty good:
Claud Butler Roubaix Road Bike, 22" frame, £92, 2 days to go.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:39 am

Sorry I missed this FRV.

If you want the best of both worlds I would definitely look at a MTB with slicks. That way you can throw on some knobbly ones on there if you want to go away to Centre Parcs of something.

Being a big Lad I would definitely do for the larger frame. If anything I went too small with mine just for looks, I should have gone for a 18" frame and it would have made it much more comfortable too.

As for gears - I've got 24 (3 x *) but like you I only use the biggest on the top. I was actually half temped in getting rid of the shifter and other rings just to leave that there.

As for price - with 2 days to go I would say that you would be looking at well into the £100 - at that price point why not treat yourself and get something with some warranty on it.

This seems to get some good reviews and looks like quite a nice bit of kit

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534

frv

Postby frv » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:53 pm

Cheers Karl. Looks a great bike at a great price!

frv

Postby frv » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Just ordered one :D
Local Halfords didn't have it in stock or the next three nearest and out of stock for delivery too.
Found one 20 miles away, pick it up tomorrow afternoon after 4 p.m. along with a decent foot pump.

Happy birthday to me (for next month ;) )

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:10 pm

Well done that man. It sure does look like a proper nice bike.

Now the accessory buying begins. I give it a month before you have a cycle computer, water bottles, lights and a lone bendy pole with a red flag.

They sure are very competitive in the bike market these days. Youll have to pop some pics up when you get it.

All this talk about bikes makes me want to get mine out again!