Since the article helping my fellow diesel VRS owners choose the right oil for their beloved ride was so popular, we’ve put together another guide to help our petrol TSI brothers put the right oil in their engine.
Skoda recommends and uses Castrol Edge. This fully synthetic adheres to the VW oil standards required for the Octavia TSI engine.
What Grade oil should I use?
Depending on which level of “tune” your VRS is will a different oil. Skoda recommends that you use:
- 5W-30 in the Skoda Octavia VRS 220/230 TSI engine (VW 504 00)
- 0W-20 in the Skoda Octavia VRS 245 TSI engine (VW 508 00)
These numbers represent ‘0/5W’ as the viscosity of the oil at cold temperature and the second number is the viscosity at 100 °C (212 °F). Who knew?!
Do not use any other grade oil, In fact, I would go as far as to recommend that you ONLY use this oil from Castrol. This is why Skoda recommends it. However, if you’re dangerously low the manual does that other oils can be used but only up to half a liter (as below in the manual).
Why does the TSI 245 use a different oil?
Skoda had to change the oil in order for the VRS245 to meet WLTP (Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure) RDE (Real Driving Emissions) & RDE2 standards. The owners clubs seem to be divided on the use of 0w-20 over 5w-30 but we’d recommend you use the recommended grade – just in case of a warranty claim.
As below from Skoda.
Where to buy
Rather than get turned over by your Skoda dealership we would recommend that you buy your oil from Amazon. If you’ve got a Prime Subscription you’ll get free next day delivery.
What the Manual Says:
Let’s hear from you!
Let us know in the comments if you have any more information on VW / VAG 504 00 / 508 00 oils. Have you opted for 504 000 in your 245? Let us know in the comments below.
- Skoda officially reveals the Octavia Mk4
- Skoda “leaks” the new Octavia Mk4 before it’s official unveiling / VRS
- Skoda Octavia MK4 spotted
- VW Skoda Seat Audi DSG Gear selector switch failure “Error: Workshop!… lever is in position P.” Fault 617752 / P173400
- Skoda Octavia MK3 VRS buyers guide
- Skoda Octavia Mk III 2013 Workshop, Service, maintenance & repair manuals downloads inc VRS
- Skoda Octavia i ii iii Mk1 Mk2 Mk3 owner manuals Inc VRS
- Skoda Octavia iii 2013 Diesel Particulate Filter DPF – Owner’s Manual – Regeneration FAQ
- Skoda Octavia ii 2004 – 2013 Inc VRS Diesel Particulate Filter DPF – Owner’s Manual – Regeneration FAQ
- Choosing the best Tyres for your Skoda Octavia MK3 VRS (2013 – onwards)
- XtremeAuto / Maypole / Universal Roof Bar Review – Skoda Octavia Estate – Amazon
- Choosing the best Windscreen wiper blades for your Skoda Octavia Mk3 2013 onwards
- HOW TO: Change the keyfob battery in your Skoda Octavia / VW Gold / Seat / Audi
- Which oil should you use in your diesel Skoda CR170 / CR 184 VRS?
- DTUK CRD3+ Tuning Box Instructions VAG Skoda Seat 184 150 Diesel TDI
- Diesel Tuning: Skoda Octavia VRS 184 TDi (DSG) DTUK Box review and 0-40 & 0-100MPH video
- Review: Skoda Octavia 3 iii Canton Sound System (Estate VRS)
- Leaked internal Skoda document shows Octavia VRS MY19 changes DPF & OPF
- Skoda Octavia MY19 documents confirms new pricing for VRS245 and says goodbye to the diesel 184
- VAG DPF (VW): Which OBD2 II ELM327 Dongle should I use? Bluetooth / Wifi?