In what was a rather strange event, Skoda has finally unveiled all-new fourth generation Skoda Octavia.
Reminiscent of a Eurovision showreel, musicians and dancers accompanied the CEO of Skoda, Bernhard Maier in
hatching welcoming the new Octavia from its polygon”egg”.
This “simply clever” show has to be hands down one of the strangest car reveals we’ve seen in a long while. Berny was joined on stage by a number of executives from Skoda, all struggling to kerb their scripted enthusiasm in all it’s cringy glory.
Despite all this, the Skoda showcased what in my opinion is a beautiful evolution of my favourite family mover. Taking cues from the all-new Superb, the new Octavia drips in understated class. It’s crisp and clean lines complement a well-proportioned body which even in non-VRS trim looks stunning.
Unfortunately, there was no sign of a VRS model but we’re confident that one will be confirmed in the near future.
- 6.5 million Octavias “delivered”
- The Octavia represented 31% of Skoda’s global car production in 2018
- Skoda will be electrifying the entire Skoda range
- The Octavia Combi is the best selling estate in Europe
What’s changed in the Mk4
Despite the corporate cue card “buzzwords” we managed to salvage a few highlights from the event. We’ll confirm more when the press pack drops.
Highlights from the Mk4
- Reduced drag coefficient by 14%
- Mild hybrid and plugin hybrid variants confirmed
- 100% customizable home display
- Gone is the handbrake
- Mk4 Octavia will offer best in class running costs
Mk4 Skoda Octavia Gallery
Will I be buying one?
I’ve had my Mk3 VRS for nearly 5 years now. The Mk4 is exactly what I was both expecting and hoping to replace it with. I love the lines, you can tell it’s an Octavia but just a little more grown-up and sophisticated. In VRS trim, it’ll be stunning and one will be sitting my drive. I just pray that the VRS will be released with a hybrid engine option. Something along the lines of a VW Golf GTE would do just nicely.
We know how much you like buyers guides for the Octavia so we’ve already put together what could well be the world’s first Skoda Octavia MK4 buyers guide. Check it out!
Let’s hear from you!
What do you think about the new MK4? Have Skoda gone far enough with the design? Will you be buying one? Let’s hear from you in the comments below
You can watch reveal from the Skoda youtube channel below
We’ve covered the Skoda Octavia extensively over the past few years. Check out our other articles in the links below
- Skoda “leaks” the new Octavia Mk4 before it’s official unveiling / VRS
- Skoda Octavia MK4 spotted
- VW Skoda Seat Audi DSG Gear selector switch failure “Error: Workshop!… lever is in position P.” Fault 617752 / P173400
- Skoda Octavia MK3 VRS buyers guide
- Skoda Octavia Mk III 2013 Workshop, Service, maintenance & repair manuals downloads inc VRS
- Skoda Octavia i ii iii Mk1 Mk2 Mk3 owner manuals Inc VRS
- Skoda Octavia iii 2013 Diesel Particulate Filter DPF – Owner’s Manual – Regeneration FAQ
- Skoda Octavia ii 2004 – 2013 Inc VRS Diesel Particulate Filter DPF – Owner’s Manual – Regeneration FAQ
- Choosing the best Tyres for your Skoda Octavia MK3 VRS (2013 – onwards)
- XtremeAuto / Maypole / Universal Roof Bar Review – Skoda Octavia Estate – Amazon
- Choosing the best Windscreen wiper blades for your Skoda Octavia Mk3 2013 onwards
- HOW TO: Change the keyfob battery in your Skoda Octavia / VW Gold / Seat / Audi
- Which oil should you use in your diesel Skoda CR170 / CR 184 VRS?
- DTUK CRD3+ Tuning Box Instructions VAG Skoda Seat 184 150 Diesel TDI
- Diesel Tuning: Skoda Octavia VRS 184 TDi (DSG) DTUK Box review and 0-40 & 0-100MPH video
- Review: Skoda Octavia 3 iii Canton Sound System (Estate VRS)
- Leaked internal Skoda document shows Octavia VRS MY19 changes DPF & OPF
- Skoda Octavia MY19 documents confirms new pricing for VRS245 and says goodbye to the diesel 184
- VAG DPF (VW): Which OBD2 II ELM327 Dongle should I use? Bluetooth / Wifi?