Volkswagen Australia has agreed to pay up to AU$127 million dollars (€78 million) in settlement for multiple class-action lawsuits from Australian customers over the ‘dieselgate’ scandal.
The settlement must still be approved by the Australian courts and will see owners compensated to the tune of AU$1,400 (£765).
Julian Schimmel Principal Lawyer for legal firm Maurice Blackburn said, “This is an important step in providing a measure of justice and redress to the thousands of Australian motorists who claim they were financially impacted by the diesel emissions issue,”
In Australia, approximately 100,000 vehicles were equipped with VW’s diesel cheating software.
Compared to the figures being thrown around in the UK, £765 seems like a pathetic amount considering the financial hardship many have faced with both repair costs and increased depreciation.
As for the UK legal action, it’s still very early days despite a very frantic start my many legal firms. A final pre-trial hearing has been set for December to agree on the details and set a date for the trial in 2020. We just hope that this settlement by VW down under will set the precedent for the UK court cases.
If you’ve found this article helpful you might also like to read our other dieselgate – VW emissions fix articles
- UK Volkswagen Emissions scandal Facebook group grows to over 5,000 members
- Our updated VW Emissions Fix Survey results are in with over 1200 responses
- Can the VW VAG EA 189 NOx emissions fix be reversed? Is a remap the answer?
- Swedish motor magazine Teknikensvarld.se proves Emissions fix has negative effect on MPG and power
- Did Volkswagen mislead owners into believing the emissions fix was mandatory?
- EU Parliament votes to “financially compensate” car buyers affected by VW emissions scandal
- Volkswagen get the green light from US regulators to sell “fixed” diesel vehicles
- Dieselgate: How the emissions “fix” will affect your DPF Diesel Particulate Filter in your VW, Audi, Skoda & Seat
- Deiselgate: VW offers warranty for US Emissions fixes while UK made to suffer three figure repair bills
- Dieselgate: Department for Transport confirms VW “fix” causes twice the level of carcinogenic diesel particulate matter
- Dieselgate: Are dishonest dealerships cashing in on VW emissions “fix” EGR failures?
- Dieselgate: Dealers could be forced into paying 100% compensation to owners of affected vehicles
- Poll: Have you been affected by the Dieselgate & EGR scandal? Would you by VAG again?
- The Volkswagen Group is systematically refunding owners for EGR failures after the emissions “fix”
- Dieselgate: Is the UK Government and Press in bed with VW? Is this a cover up?
- Bavarian Government refuses VW emissions “fix” on 500 police vehicles